light Spectrum Question

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Tyslin, Jul 9, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. trippkid

trippkid Plankton

You are just going to have to decide and if it is not what you want change it in a yr or maybe play with Actinics, like I said I run 3 Actinics and 1 10k together, it is pretty blue. When the MH's come on, I don't think it's very blue, looks very good, bright and good coloration. Everything will "pop" more with just the actinics on anyhow.
    Matt

2. Click Here!

3. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

I'd go a full actinic for at least one bulb :) - they sell some that are 'deeper' than the 20k spectrum

edit - WTH...i'm an aiptasia :'(

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I use 14000k and 20000k bulbs and they don't have the dark blue color associated with actinics!
    6500k bulbs will aid in the growth of microalgae due to the red end of the spectrum being more pronounced!

5. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

yeah,6500k bulbs made my tank into a big mass of algae.i think bulbs lower than 10000 are supposed to grow coral faster but they don't look as nice and you have the algae problem.i have a very crisp light with nice colors and growth in my corals.i have half actinic and half 10,000k but i'm using t5 lights.

6. dbyrd

dbyrd Astrea Snail

i have a coral life 2x18watt compact for my fuge and i have 2 6500k bulbs in it should i change it or is 2 6500's good?

7. dbyrd

dbyrd Astrea Snail

sorry to bring back an old thread but since we are on the subject what is the difference in the actinic 420 and 460 nanometer?