light Spectrum Question

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Tyslin, Jul 9, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tyslin

Tyslin Feather Duster

Hey Reefers,

I have a question about the color spectrum between a 6500k, 10000K and a 14000K, MH bulb. What are the different color spectrums of each bulb?

2. Click Here!

3. trippkid

trippkid Plankton

6500K-yellowish, 10K-crisp white, 14K-white w/blue hue, 20K-pretty bluish

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

The lower the bulb number, the cooler and redder the light will be.
    The higher the bulb number, the warmer the temperature of the bulb(not in terms of heat to the touch!) and the closer towards the blue/purple end of the light spectrum.
    6500K bulb will be perceived as very green and yellow colored, as the red end of the spectrum should be refracted shortly after penetrating below the water level.
    !0,000k bulb will be in the middle whener a whitish, green and blue color will be evident. This is a nice light though not beneficial for the fluorescing of corals and fish IMO. Coral growth is thought to be expedited under this lighting spectum.
    14,000 bulb will offer a crisp white/blue evident of a deeper reef environment.
    20,000k bulbs are great to capture the fluorescing of corals and fish better than the above mentioned bulbs. A bluer bulb coloration is associated with this bulb, then leading up to the actinic bulbs offering the deep water biotope!

1 person likes this.
  5. dbyrd

dbyrd Astrea Snail

i have a 2x96 watt compact fixture, i currently have a 10k and a 50/50 actinic 420nm with 10k what type of bulbs should i be using?

6. zombie13

zombie13 Fire Worm

i had a coral life fixture and it was a 4x65 and i was useing 2 10,000k and there 50/50 420,460 antinic bulbs. my gf had a 2x96 with pretty much the same spectrum. now im running tek ho,t5 (love them with my tank) and im running 2x10,000k and 2x420nm. im not going back to compact.

1 person likes this.
  7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

You can use any type of lighting arrangement IMO, AS LONG AS THE BULBS ARE FULL SPECTRUM! NOT something purchased at Home Depot!
    Really should be based on your preference-do you wish to portray a deep water environment or shallower water biotope.
    I personally like the bluer coloration better, especially with the fluorescing capabilities.!

8. Click Here!

9. Tyslin

Tyslin Feather Duster

Thanks Coral,

I have another question, I hear that SPS do better under 65k bulbs is that true? Also does supplementing with Actinics add to the amount of light spectrum of the MH in a tank?

10. trippkid

trippkid Plankton

I'd say 10K bulbs give you the most and fastest growth for sps. Not sure exactly what your other question is. For the most part, you are just adding more blue, there is no need to if using 10K or greater, I like the bluish look, so I supplement my dual 14K's with 3 110 wt super Actinic and 1 10K aquasun. I guess yes, you are adding more blue wave to the spectrum.

11. Tyslin

Tyslin Feather Duster

I want the colors of my corals, SPS, LPS, Clams e.t.c to stand out when being viewed. But I also don't want it to look like it's blue either. I want it to be clear but also with some pop to the colors in the tank.

So I was thinking maybe 2 14k MH bulbs with 2 Actinic supplements. Can anyone with this type of lighting system or anyone who's had this combo share your thoughts and experiences. Would like to know what might be best to get my tank looking like the way I stated above. Thank for you input.

12. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

14000k has more blue , go 10000k JMO:)

1 person likes this.