LFS Clam on Bare Bottom

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Clonefarmer, Feb 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

The LFS has a few Tridacna clams sitting on the bottom of bare bottomed tanks. I would like to get one, but I'm worried that they may have attached to the bottom. Is there any way to tell?

2. Click Here!

3. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

I think they have like a foot on them or whatever, and they attach that foot to where they are wanting to stay..

Im not sure if you can actually see if it is planted but you could probably just tell..I mean, i cant stand straight up without help of the foot.

1 person likes this.
  4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Pretty sure there bissel threads will not attach to glass. That is probably why they are keeping them there. Just try and move one and see if it is stuck.

1 person likes this.
  5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Really depends on the clam type and size, bigger clams like Derasa usually do not have byssal threads any longer once they get larger. I have had Maxima, Squamosa and Derasa not attach. Just give them a tug if they feel firm they are attached.

Also you can place a flat object underneath them to attach to. Worst comes to worst you can just carefully and slowly cut the byssal threads.

1 person likes this.
  6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

+1 on Vinny's answer for me

as its your LFS and you will be present during the purchase, this gives you an advantage of being able to see how the clam is handled, before making a final desicion

if the LFS person can remove it easily, and bag it up for you, your good to go IMHO
    If it seems that person is having to rough house it away from the glass, your perfectly entitled to change your mind

Steve

1 person likes this.
  7. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

Thank you for the quick responses :). I'll watch closely when they move the clam.

8. Click Here!

9. tattooedsoul87

tattooedsoul87 Coral Banded Shrimp

I was told that they produce an adhesive type substance to attach themselves to rocks but if you pull them off the rock a bunch it will eventually stop producing that adhesive material. dont know if theres any truth to that but thats what i was told.