LFS Blues

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Land_Fish, Apr 3, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

No, they refused to hold them at all!

2. Click Here!

3. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Ok as most know I am back in the lfs side of the reef thing here so being partial I wont vote but will throw somethings out here.
    First the bulb issue-- the lfs sucks they should have had the rep contact you if they could not resolve the issue for you. I also was a manufacturing rep for a while and they do have some budget and leeway when they can make a cust happy.
    The holding fish issue-- holding a fish that is not paid for is dicey in the fact there is no guarantee that the cust comes back we have regulars do it to us as well as new cust. So that could = loss of sales. Now if the fish is paid for there shouldn't be a reason not to hold but I have seen stores that won't hold anything. Some stores won't do to the fact they don't guarantee the fish once it is paid for and if it dies in their tank its is a tough call.
    I think it is a dual edged sword that takes a lot of understanding and Patience, The lfs and the cust should work together but it doesn't always happen that way. I have always said find alfs that you like and frequent it often to build a relationship. Also what most people don't realize is if you are standing in a store and telling them all about the great deals you get on the net it takes a great guy to watch his lively-hood being avoided but still stand there and help you out. Also when something is bought at a lfs and the sales staff isn't informed of all the tank inhabitants it is not a negative reflection on the store.
    There is one final thought here (actually tons more but probably lost some of you already) I want anyone here to go to their favorite on-line sit and ask them to hold anything for you and you will contact them in a couple of days for a health check and see how they are eating and if it goes well you will buy it from them. There might be some but not all and that is just like the rule for lfs there are some that are great but not all.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Good post Phil. I know it's hard to rationalize holding for a week for the lfs owner. Heck if I don't buy it, someone else will. The guy has to make money.

But i have known a couple that would and write my name on the tank. Guess they were special. Without that sort of thing, I have no idea how good someone's fish are. I guess there are the visual queues, the dead fish, anemones and the stores themselves. I just have a hard time playing dice with a fish's life and my tank. And so far, all the stores I have been to around here are sketchy. I'll keep looking. :-/

5. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Hey Matt I feel ya in my area here (Chicagoland IL) I have a ton of stores and being their rep I know most of them and aside from my store and about 4 others I wouldn't shop any LFS,

Two pointers in working with lfs:
    Do as much listening and less talking as you can see if they truely know what they are talking about.
    When purchasing anything from a LFS let them know what you are doing with the purchase and ask questions about the purchase if it is hard good make them open it up and show you what it does and that they understand the product if is live animals ask how long in the store what its eating and observe how its acting in the tank.

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I have recently been very discoraged by most of the LFS in my area.
    first I ordered a 40 strech Hex with a HQI 175W pendant. They told me I could pick it up the following week end. It's been 9 weeks.
    Another store. Total Ick outbreak. On a possitive not they are telling customers and treating there tanks.

Now my theory is to research to death what you want to by. Then go to your fav LFS and see if they have it or can get it.
    As far as Naut's problem, I would stop shopping there, but I know with limited good LFS it very hard to cut one off. I think the LFS know this and that is why they feel they can get away with the way they treat their customers.
    It's too bad we all don't live near Phil in Chicago. Boy would we get discounts. :)

7. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I thank God I have a good LFS, the only one in town too!

8. Click Here!

9. JOER0178

JOER0178 Peppermint Shrimp

i have yet to find "the total package" so to speak. One seems to know alot but is rude and has a pretty small selection. one has a larger selection and some of the guys seem to know what there talking about but alot of kids work there who i think dont know much, and there really really overpriced they wanted to charge me 165 for the pinpoint pH meter. one seems to know what there talking about but works out of his house and is not always available, plus he has a better selection of coral than fish. and the last has a huge selection and the guys are really nice but i get the feeling that they aren't the best for asking questions because they never say i dont know, even when i feel they dont know. So its hard to choose

10. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

My LFS has great prices on livestock and makes up for overhead and DOAs on drygoods. The trick to staying in business. I shop on-line only when forced to by exhorbetant pricing on dry goods. My part in keeping the only game in town "in town" so to speak.