Levels, additives, tests, help!

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by ScooterGuitar, Nov 30, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ScooterGuitar

ScooterGuitar Astrea Snail

Hello everyone, recently got back into it. I have always had good luck with simply adding few supplements. But this time around I want ot understand the whole concept and chemistry aspect better. I have a 55 FOLWR system recently set up. I have plenty of good cured live rock, live sand, and tryign the critters to help with the sand/detritus, etc. I ordered soem MArc Weiss COmbo Vital that mixes tow of his best products that shoudl help with the live rock and such, but what else should I add? I usually went with a calcium additive and a overall trace element additive. I will not have a reef tank. Do I still need to add kalkwasser if I add calcium? Anyoen explaint he differences? Any good sights/links that break everything down into layman terms? Tell me what I want! Thanks for everything! :-/

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

The layman break down of Ca/Kalk/PH and ALK what a wonderful world it would be. 3 years I've been looking and THIS is the best I can find.

Personally I would dump the Marc Weiss stuff. I've tried it and found little about it's ingredients that make me think it does anything.
    In a FOWLR Tank CA and ALK are less important but in my mind we are all trying to recreate the ocean and if CA is 450 in the ocean it should be in the tank, Right. Check out Seachem there is a lot of info there and they have good product.

J

4. tresguey

tresguey Fire Worm

i also agree with jason on the combo vital. i have used it in the past. and noticed no remarkable difference like it claims. also i have a problem with a product that does not put the ingredients on its lable. heck the combo vital could be finey ground up coffee for all we knowLOL i know its not but kinda looks like it. but you get my point. regular water changes would be all you should really need to do. IMO

5. ScooterGuitar

ScooterGuitar Astrea Snail

Thanks, appreciate the insight.

6. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

i've heard that about the combo vital. I heard that it doesn't do anything. does nebody else find this to be true.