lets talk skimmer water depth height

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Dingo, Jun 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

No.. don't think of it as dwell time... you are simply processing less water. But you are not loosing as much water due to skimmate and evaporation. You are also better processing the less water you are moving because it effectively has a bigger reaction volume now.

2. Click Here!

3. salt4me

salt4me Skunk Shrimp

On start up the pump in deeper water will draw more power and amp to start. But after that the pump draws the water in faster than it flows into the pump.

4. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

No, that is not how pumps work. GPH is directly effected by head pressure in centrifical pumps... just look at the pump curve supplied with any pump you have.

Get your amp meter and measure your self. Higher head pressure is less water moved, which equals less amps drawn. Amps is a measure of power, which is a measure of work. The more water moved, the more work performed.

5. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Yes, the deeper the skimmer sits in the sump, the more power consumed.

6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Ah, now that makes sense! Good thing you're are around tonight :)

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

That's true, but power is simply a function of volts X amps.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Starting current has nothing to do with operational current draw. A pump does not draw water in... water flows to low pressure created by the pump. I'm really not splitting hairs here... there is a big difference. Centrifical pumps can't suck water up.

10. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Been kind of busy. Got to get out of the house for a showing and get some training in.

11. salt4me

salt4me Skunk Shrimp

The pump is pushing water into a cylinder to a certain height and the back pressure in that cylinder is pushing water out. That creates the head pressure on the pump. The difference is say in 10" of water has 5 psi downward pressure. This causes more head on the pump. At 5" of water it has 2.5 per say, less downward pressure. I would think the flow rate into the pump would change also due to the inlet pressure. Higher head pressure cause an increase in amps not less. I see it every day on ac units. Thats why on victaulic piping eng. dont want to use 90's. They cause more head pressure and more amps. Now if we were adding height to the skimmer, (height the pump pushes the water in the skimmer)yes it would change flow rate. So in all actuallity a dry skimmer is more effective.

12. salt4me

salt4me Skunk Shrimp

Ok they cant suck water up so it is moving more water the deeper it is because the downward pressure causes more or rather a faster inlet flow.