Lets talk cars..... :D

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by ScubaBrett22, May 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ScubaBrett22

ScubaBrett22 Fire Shrimp

True i like cars that were assembled in the USA not in Japan or China because it was not hand built and if it was built in a factory it was made by machines and robots and if there is one problem it effects 100 or even thousands of cars just like the what happened when Toyota recalled there cars.

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

cars assembled in the US (including Honda, Toyota, Chevy, etc.) all use robots and automation as well...

Only the most expensive cars are hand built (ZR1, Ferrari (import)).

The problem you mention is not geographically limited.

I would like to counter with the flip side. With robots, if there is no problem then there is no problem with thousands of cars. If each car is hand built, then you could have a problem every hundredth (or whatever) car...

I'd have to say I disagree with ya.

4. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

i think that even the american cars are built in a factory. just partly assembled by man. very few cars are hand built. ferrari, koenigsegg...etc

5. ScubaBrett22

ScubaBrett22 Fire Shrimp

Agree.... But there can be disadvantages for a car to be built by a robot you know? but there are advantages like more production of cars. But i did not know Toyota is in America i thought it was from a different country? (Please correct me if i am wrong)

6. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

There are different plants all over the globe for most companies. ford makes cars in europe that we dont get in america. So its the same with toyota, honda, etc. they have cars available in japan that we dont too. it cuts cost for them to have plants over here in america rather than shipping cars over seas.

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Toyota is Japanese owned. But they build a lot of cars in the US. Just like Ford builds a lot of cars in Mexico.

The idea of "buying American" just doesn't really apply to cars anymore. (that should spark some debate :p).

I forget the stats so I'm just kind of guessing... but it's something like Toyota employs more Americans than Ford (I think that's who it was, might have been some other manufacturers, I forget).

This would include in the factory, dealerships, finance, etc.

8. Click Here!

9. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

I would believe that. Toyota at one point was doing better than the american car companies. this may still be true, im not sure.

10. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

the recalls your seeing are due to a single or few mis-engineered parts not because a car was assembled by robots or humans, as far as american cars there really isnt any such thing except for small companies like SSC but then your going to drop 7 figures on your ride, I just made it a point to say that it was a 100% American car, the more impressive thing is everything on them is designed/built by SSC nothing is outsourced. I have nothing against imports except certain brands such as VW for example

11. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Certian Yotas are built here, and some are made in Japan.

Our 4runner is made in japan, but the tacoma, the Sequoia, and tundra are made in the states. Other yotas are made here too, but exactly what other ones I don't know off the top of my head.

One thing I do know is that the faulty gas pedals on some yotas were the pedals made in Indiana. The ones (denso brand) made in Japan don't have any issues. Another thing I know is that yota vehicles that are made in Japan, and don't have American made pedal assemblies are not included in the recall. I love telling folks that make some dumb comment about my yota "unintentionally accelerating" that because my yota was not made in america, it has not been recalled, and has had no issues. I also like informing them that the pedals that have issues are US made ones. That usually gets them to be quiet quickly.

Toyota has been exonerated in the issue pretty much, and sales of yotas have been extremely good as of late, the only other brands to have as much success are Ford, and to a slightly lesser extent, Hyundai and Kia.

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

My IS350 has been recalled and they are insistent I get my pedal changed.

The vehicle came in on a boat and then a train to get to me (special order). But I don't really know where it came from. I assumed Japan...