Let's talk about the invasive lionfish in the Atlantic.

Discussion in 'Lionfish Lair' started by Renee@LionfishLair, Apr 8, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Let's just say Atlantic for simplicity of the conversation, but of course non-indigenous species are spreading everywhere they can tolerate the environment. It's a horrible reality ALL of us and beyond, can appreciate. We at Lionfish Lair, also don't want them there! I'm not quite sure why some people believe we are in support of them living where ever they wanna and treat us accordingly. MAX did not disappoint, albeit it was from a vendor that showed the most uneducated aggressive behavior. I'm not quite sure where the anger comes from as a whole, as I don't even know of anyone who doesn't support their removal. Some don't want to hear about it, but support it all the same.

I have my theories, but I would like to hear yours, as to why some people feel it necessary to frown about us and be confrontational. Maybe even YOU frown and I would love to hear your views. Seriously! Tell me! I won't be offended. We are going to be in Florida for MACNA and would like to know what issues people would have with us. How would you assume we felt about the issue?

I bet I can convince you to see us differently!

2. Click Here!

3. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

Here in Fla invasive species are common from fish, snakes, fire ants & snow birds. It's kinda like living on a reef. A lot of it sucks but nature usually has its own way of doing things. Humans are very invasive but eventually our time will pass also. No point in playing a blame game if your not gonna do anything about the situation. I wouldn't think someone would actually blame you guys for the lion fish issue. But we all know how retarded most people are or I should say their lack of understanding.

4. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

I say next time you transport a tank there that's wrapped in black plastic and tell that vendor to "stick his hand in there and pick out a prize"

5. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

When the news first broke about the Lionfish invading US coastal waters, there was a big global gasp and a call to ban keeping them at all... anywhere... even from fellow SW aquarists. A few members here on 3Reef went on a rant on every thread concerning Lionfish for quite some time. What I learned from their posts is that people tend to over-rationalize the situation, and they feel that any Lionfish kept in captivity will eventually be released into non-native waters, and that nobody is responsible enough to know better, which in my mind, is a very uneducated and immature outlook. However, with that in mind, I can understand their stance with you; after all, you promote keeping Lionfish as pets.

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Sorry to hear of the abuse Renee. Keep your chin up and keep educating them.

8. Click Here!

9. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

They are beautiful fish. Yes they are invasive and yes some people released them into the ocean thus the problem. But you cant lump the responsible owners in with the bad ones.

10. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I think it stems from the damage that other invasive species have done (especially in Fl) nobody wants to see yet another ecosystem destroyed. In the right habitat, Lionfish are exceptionally beautiful fish. Understandably, some people see "lionfish invading and destroying reef" and just assume that all lionfish are bad, and all owners will release them into the ocean; as Mr. Bill said. This situation applies to the python situation in florida too, yet people are still allowed to keep them as pets in some parts. Its just the usual uneducated person who jumps on the bandwagon before even really delving into it. Next time you get anything from someone, you should ask them what THEY are doing to stop the invasion.

11. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

I'm so sorry people are jerks. I feel bad for killing the invasive lionfish but at the same time I support thier removal cause they do kill the natural species here. And yes I don't like it when people clump the good owners with the bad owners I got so many evil looks when I said I was setting up a lionfish tank from coworkers but Idc ik what I'm doing and doing my research

12. scadsobees

scadsobees Fire Shrimp

I think the name of the invasive hits the news and everybody now sees it as the enemy. If you opened a store in MI called "Big Headed Carp Lair" you'd probably have a few angry people too (and a lot of weird looks!! :)

Ironically they always make them illegal AFTER the animals all get loose....