Leptastrea coral info

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Moby Duck, Jul 22, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Moby Duck

Moby Duck Purple Spiny Lobster

So I have the opportunity to buy a leptastrea coral. I always do research Before hand but I can't really find any info on them. Can anyone tell me about them? Do I place them on a rock do they spread like zoas and take over rocks or is it like a ball thing and it only gets so big?

2. Click Here!

3. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

They seem to like low light and moderate flow. I have not observed mine feeding like other LPS corals do. I have mine on a rock and it seems to spread over the base like a zooanthid would. I feed rod's mix, mysis, brine, flake and pellets to my fish fortified with garlic and selcon. I also feed coral frenzy and reef roids from time to time. I think the key is to keep parm's stable and not a lot of light. I have the "saw breaker" lep. This is a top down pic it's on the left hand side next to the humongous toad stool.

[​IMG]

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

They can handle medium but do well as zoo mentioned. It is a member of the Faviid family and will spread like their members. All are connected via a membrane.

5. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

I always thought that they required lower flow and light, but mine did not grow at all for a long time, until I moved it into high flow and medium light.

Colors are off in the picture. It's actually a deep purple/bright green. In the upper right corner is a new one that is blue centers. Both doing well in the same area.

[​IMG]

6. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they have some powerful sweepers or a decent length too? ie - leave space between it's neighbors.

7. tinctorus

tinctorus Feather Duster

Mine does well in medium/low light, I feed it 1 time a week with PE mysis and its doing very well, It's also a pretty easy coral to keep so I think as long as your tank is stable you will be ok

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Hunter I haven't seen any when I have had the coral. They have very small polyps also.

10. barbianj

Same here.

I don't see how a Lepastrea could eat PE Mysis. The polyps are very tiny. They appear to eat tiny particles, though.

11. tinctorus

tinctorus Feather Duster

The polyps arent that tiny, They are smaller than some LPS but definitely large enough to eat mysis, like I said I feed mine once a week and it loves mysis

12. barbianj

Hmmm, all of the Lepastrea that I've seen have polyps 1/8" or so. What does yours look like?