"leopard eel"

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by iLLwiLL, May 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

i was thinking about picking up this eel for my new fowlr setup (after its cycled). he's really cheap, but i'm not 100% sure what kind of eel he is. would he be ok with 2-3 other large fish (lion, minitas grouper, and maybe a full grown harlequin tusk) in my 125? i set up my rock work specifically for a large eel with 1 large and low cave perfect for hiding, but i dont want to wind up with some kind of tesselata morph that will grow to epic proportions.

heres a few pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the only info i found on a leopard eel was it usually only gets 3', and this guy seems bigger than that to me. any links to a care sheet would be awesome, i wasn't able to find much on a leopard eel husbandry on google.

thanks!

~Will.

2. Click Here!

3. gfunk823

gfunk823 Coral Banded Shrimp

i think this is a tesselata if im not mistaken but idk. tiger eels atleast the ones i have seen are black and white barred.

are you talking about tiger reef eels?

4. divott

divott Giant Squid

even in a 125 , wouldnt that be too small for the eel? i know nothing about this, just a curiosity question

5. gfunk823

for a three foot eel thatd be fine as long as theres enough rocks for it to hide in

6. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

i got an ID on this guy from webnetmedia as a G. fimbriatus, but the pics i'm finding look nothing like the ones i have from the seller. i still cant find any info on or about it. the pics show this eel in a 75 gallon tank, and the owners claim it has not grown in the year they have had him. i'm still looking for any input on if he will be ok in my 125 with a large lion fish and an adult minatus grouper.

~Will.

7. gfunk823

i think it should be fine are you worried about size or getting along because the size of your tank is fine as logn as it is longer than the eel

8. Click Here!

9. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

not too worried about the size, more worried about him eating anything moving in the tank. i have talked with a couple people with first hand experiences with this eel and they both said eventually [in a 125] the tesselata eel will be all that remains.

still kicking around the idea of keeping him solo with maybe a school of small damsels (or something else) that would be too small and fast for him to be bothered with, but i dont know . . . i have wanted a lion fish since my first first tank over 16 years ago.

~Will.

10. gfunk823

trust me a tesselata will be fine with a lion depending on the size but even then the eel knows the lion has venomous spines so it should fine.

11. LisaD

LisaD Astrea Snail

Last edited: May 20, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  12. tulsa1

tulsa1 Plankton

eel

Eels must have their own tank. Both Eels and Lion fish are aggressive and you risk the chance of stressing them both out. AS far as price, i have one, and I paid waaaaaay more than that and you get what you pay for.

My tank is also a 150 gallon tank and he only got about 2.5 ft long. Hope this helps.