Lend me your Helping Hand 3reef fraggers!

Discussion in 'Frags' started by RedGambit, Apr 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

So More bad news, after examining my tank. Two of my colonies of Acropora that I got last week have RTN and STN! Bah! Anyways I got off the phone and Talked to liveaquaria where I purchased them from. And they want me to take direct action and frag the colonies!

How do I got about this, They basicly said bone sheers and place the frags back in the tank! I dont have coral dip or anything right that on me now and the petstores local dont carry that stuff.

Is there anything Else I need or is it as simple as that?

2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

do you have a dremmel?
    you just cut where there is still skin and then you can mount them to a plug or else you can just stick them right on the rock. If you dont have bone cutters or a dremmel you can break them with your fingers

4. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

lol I have cutlery Sheers... That work?

5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Wire cutters work pretty well if the piece isn't too thick to get it in there.

6. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Yes it is that easy. Just cut, or break a piece of healthy looking coral off, and re-mount it with superglue gel. Dont waste time. It will turn white overnight.

7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

make sure you get well above the RTN into healthy tissue. You want a good margin.
    Worse case scenerio, acros frag very easily and can almost frag with your hands!

I would just to be safe....place superglue gel around the part that you cut/break off. This way you can attach the frag onto something and the thin layer around the bottom can act as an extra barrier against the RTN going up.

Just keep a close eye on it. I had a piece develop RTN and I tried fragging it. It continued to RTN up the frag, so I took it as a loss and tossed it all. Was not worth risking everything else in the tank

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You can get tincture of iodine from a drugstore to use as a dip for healing the cut.

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

actually they dont sell lugols over the counter anymore.....
    Ever wonder why you can only by very very small quantity in fish stores? They can only sell I think a half ounce or something like that because people use it in meth labs! Pharmacies dont sell it at all (I recently asked my pharmacist....)

11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Good luck Eric!!! I know you can do this!

12. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Eric asked me to post this photo for him of his frags:

[​IMG]