Lemonpeel/Mimic tang info PLEASE

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by tangaholic, Jun 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tangaholic

tangaholic Plankton

So my boyfriend and I are setting up a 120gallon cube tank and we are thinking we can only have 4 tangs.
    I DESPERATELY want a lemonpeel tang... I have spent the last 3 weeks searching them and trying to give him as much info as i can to try to sway him to get me one... but he usually falls for other people who have already had them more than internet facts...

PLEASE HELP ME OUT GUYS!!!

also, if anyone wants to throw in some reassurance that if i buy a snowflake eel that it wont escape and die.... i know they are kind of notorious for that but I want one SOOOO bad and he just keeps telling me it's a waste of money and he doesnt want to see my sad face when we come home one day to his body on the floor near the tank!

help a girl win a battle here!!!

2. Click Here!

3. autogirl

autogirl Astrea Snail

snowflake wont ecape as long as you have a canopy. But be carful they are dumb and well mistake you as a food source.. the one i had bite me like 3 or 4 times before i got mad and got rid of him! as far as the mimic there a good tang to have but you can't have a yellow or one of the same body type cause it well kill it. I had one that tryed to kill my chevron. sorry it's not the infor that you want.

4. hydrojeff

hydrojeff Montipora Capricornis

yes my snow flake got out and died on me and my tank only had a 1/2" hole where the return tube went. i now have a mimic tang but he is not with anyother tang at the moment but i one day want a purple tang? and sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear?

5. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I'd be helpful if you gave a list of the specific fish you had in mind. 4 tangs could be waaaaay too much depending on which ones we're talking about here.

6. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

....since it's not mentioned:

A 120 cube is approx. 30 inches in each dimension, unless it's shorter and longer - then it's not a cube.

7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I had a snowflake in an open top 55 next to a 46 reeftank, he never tried to escape and I fed him by hand for years

8. Click Here!

9. Big Al's Online

Big Al's Online 3reef Sponsor

We have had snowflake eels that were so enthusiastic about eating they would leap out of the aquarium during feeding. They would continue swallowing the food wriggling around on the tile flooring.

I would recommend a top on the aquarium to prevent this from occurring while you are not around to dump them back in!

10. Broaner

Broaner Feather Duster

She got her snowflake (6" at purchase)and it has escaped into the rear chambers of our current Biocube 29 once; I've since made that a near impossibility. Also, it jumped out the front hatch during feeding just as you described Big Al. Freaked me out big time. One thing about these guys that I haven't read a lot about is... They grow fast. In a month its probably already added an inch.

The tank plans have been solidified as a Perfecto 93 cube. 30x30x24 It has been purchased and I'm finishing up painting the back and beginning the plumbing and stand.

Probable stocking list:

Desjardin, Kole/Mimic, Scopas, Chromi', Copperband, Sixline, and a pair of clowns.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  11. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

are you sure? i have a 30gallon cube that is 30 inches in each dimension.

12. hddoutside

hddoutside Fire Shrimp

dude a 30x30x30 is like 116 gallons.