Led's or stick with Halides

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Stingray, Oct 2, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Help me pick

1. Leds

67.5%
  2. Halides

30.0%
  3. t5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. not worth the hassle, keep your money

2.5%
  1. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

The last couple of weeks i have been debating whether to change from my current lighting, 1 150watt halide 14k with 2 t8 actinics, 6" above a 24" cube tank, only soft and lps so far, to a led unit see link below

Dimmable LED Aquarium Light 120W Full Spectrum + Lenses - Reef, Coral, Fish - | eBay

Im sure the good people on here will help me to decide, have people that have made the switch been happy and also how should i acclimate livestock if i should decide to purchase them

2. Click Here!

3. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

I would do different LEDs though. I honestly don't see an advantage to other types of lighting at this point unless you currently have them (then cost would be a factor)

4. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

DIY LED personally. It's the most cost effective and you can make it any way you like. I like LEDs because I don't have to think about replacing bulbs and let alone the heat that you don't get with LEDs compared to other types of lighting.

5. ivanbosk

ivanbosk Feather Duster

no heat
    no expensive replacement bulbs every 6 months
    long life
    lower power bill every month

LED's has my vote

6. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

a DIY kit will cost about the same. I see your in UK, so the fixture you liked is the d120/evergrow fixture, pretty much the same as the reefbreeders fixture alot of people use. So its definetely a good fixture and probably the most bang for your buck fixture on the market right now. I think you would be very happy with that fixture over your cube. If you convert the currency it cost the same as a reefbreeders fixtures too.

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Take this as you will, but I'd not do anything just yet.

Seeing the frequency and type of questions you have posted in the recent past, I would focus on providing the tank stability and consistency maintaining such. This will serve you far better in the long haul than continuously making changes.

If one year from now things are going well, then consider doing a lighting upgrade.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I'm an LED guy but the best tanks I see are running halides. For growth and color you cant beat it. its more expensive as well as more maintenance, but nice.

10. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

What he said.

11. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

And both Andy and I use Radions.

12. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Not anymore...I use 20K Radium Halides now. I don't feel LEDs are all the way there yet...but they are close, and my next setup (next year) will be lit with LED.