led vs t5

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by AaronG, Feb 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AaronG

AaronG Plankton

found a 12.5" led lighting system 10,000 k day light now would this be better than a 24" t5 with 4x24w bulbs?

2. Click Here!

3. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

led's are new to the market, when you find out let me know.

4. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

depends on what your keeping

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

I would say no. Although LEDs are getting some good press a) they are still new and b) with the T-5s you are not stuck with only 10,000k you can get some actinics for a nicer look.

6. AaronG

AaronG Plankton

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  7. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

It all depends on what kind of LEDs you're talking about. The solaris lighting systems are not your typical LEDs. Standard 1w LEDs are super cheap, but the LED bulbs used in the Solaris lights are like $30-$50 per bulbs which is one of the reasons they cost so much. It is too new of technology implemented in the hobby to say wether or not one is better then the other, but take a look at the pics, and you'll get an idea of the difference between standard LEDs and HO LEDs. I would go with T5HO's though cause of the intial cost.

Standard LEDs
    [​IMG]

HO LEDs
    [​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. pinantanjohn

pinantanjohn Plankton

It has been my experience that LEDs are good for signals and flashlights and warning lights and such bit have never heard of anyone growing a successful plant with LEDs only. The light just doesn't penetrate into the canopy ( re water column) very far. As far as reefkeeping or anemones I don't think they would do the job.
    I've been trying crazy DIY stuff for years and sometimes having a wheel that is round just doesn't leave much room for improvement. T5s or HID/MH are what is needed. It's easy to turn them down a bit if they are too strong but not so easy to turn them up, If ya know what I mean.

For a fish only or FOWLR they should be fine as long as you had enough. I don't think you will have much success with a reef with them.

Peace
    John

10. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

I was wondering if somebody has as of yet gone out and purchased the LED lighting - Im very curious about it as it seems to be really good (from the press) even if it is expensive, I think the benefits outweigh that!

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

We use a couple of the Solarus systems they do pretty well for 1.300.00 of a 30 gal tank. And we build LED moonlight's also have been making a few smaller LED sets for Nano's I made a set for this Nano here at home it fell into the tank :) and I have yet to build another I have all the parts laid out just never got to it yet . To difficult to set at the table that long still. I have a few VHO's systems to get out also .. May be a week or two still ? But all in all The LED's are going to be huge in I'd guess 5 yrs or so.. Still its it infancy stages for aquarium usage

As for the T-5's I just never found them all that great we used 4 sets from 1 2 and 4 on differeent tanks and 2 dual bulb total of 4 tubes did almost nothing on a 90 . On a 40 I'd say maybe 4 may work 1/2 way ? But they are just overly rated I think Give me VHO's sis by side the VHO's smoke the T5's .

12. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

Ive seen my lfs with t5's on their tanks, 3 bulbs on a 40 gallon breeder keeping sps and bta's. I cant see vhos smoking t5's...