LED Switch moving away from Orphek

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Reef4life, Oct 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Umm... From table 1 of this article, for example, the photosaturation points for most SPS, is around 300ish PAR. Feature Article: How Much Light?! Analyses of Selected Shallow Water Invertebrates' Light Requirements — Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine Usually people consider this range to be ideal for SPS. So, The video seems to prove my point exactly. By mid tank directly under the Radion he's already down to 230. So, what is proving wrong?
    The single radion isn't providing ideal SPS levels of PAR directly under it, never mind over a 2'x2' area. Now, that's not really a big deal, most lighting will not truly cover a 2x2' area ideally for SPS.

My point was regarding the comparison of the coverage area of the Radion to the SOL. It is not 2x the SOL. I think if you re-read my comments now, perhaps that will make more sense? I said I liked the Radion and would personally prefer it to the SOL; it's more powerful and provides more color options. The point you are referring too, was just regarding the comparison of coverage areas.

For reference, the SOL coverage can be found here:
    Feature Article: LED Lighting Tests: Aquaillumination, Blue Moon, Eco-Lamp KR-91, Ecoxotic Panorama — Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine

Also, For the halides, to make another point, in the video, he seems to be using some pretty crappy reflectors or comparison and probably 20000K bulbs. Most 250s will put out a lot more PAR than that with good reflectors. The reflectors make all the difference when your taking about halides.

You can see how drastically clean, new bulbs and good reflectors changes the output of MHs in Melevs example here:
    Melevsreef.com - PAR Measurements Taken

And here are some comparisons of LEDs to halides, where the halides have the best reflectors possible.
    Feature Article: Quantitative Comparison of Lighting Technologies: Metal Halide, T5 Fluorescent and LED — Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine

Watt for watt, the halides produce more output over a larger area. However, the LEDs direct the light better. So, by utilizing the fact that you are not wasting as much light, you can gain efficiency over halides with LEDs if done correctly, but that requires figuring out which LED is right for the job, not just picking a random LED because you like the brand name. This is why I think it is important to see PAR contour plots of the LEDs. This is how you can figure out if the LED will cover a given area better than other options.

2. Click Here!

3. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Umm.. that sounds like a certain sales pitch LOL, I feel like I've heard that before :)

In the words of Sanjay, "I think people need to realize that a photon is a photon, independent of the source of light. Just because it comes from a light-emitting diode does not make it anything special or different in terms of photosynthesis...."

My point here is PAR is PAR. PUR is not really defined for corals, and until it is, we compare lights with PAR. So, PAR numbers on an LED fixture are as useful as any other comparison; although, again we need to see the spread, a point estimate certainly doesn't tell us much.

1 person likes this.
  4. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Well said!

Michael Rice
    Marine Engineers Aquarium Blog
    Sent from Tapatalk

5. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

I agree with this 100%. You hit the nail on the head.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

6. shoebox

shoebox Bubble Tip Anemone

I have been running two BoostMU135's on my 125gal reef for about 5 plus months and everything is running smooth.

7. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

lol so maybe it sounds a little like a sales pitch sorry i have been doing waaaayyy to much reading up on LEDs lately trying to find the right fixture for my tank :)

8. Click Here!

9. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I am using 4 sol Blues on my 72x24x29 210g sps dominant reef. I am getting pretty even par readings across the tank and getting well over 100 par on the sandbed and haven't come close to 100% on any of the three channels (white, blue or royal blue). My sps are growing and coloring great. I had 5 and actually decided to remove one. I did swap to all 40 degree optics and mounted them about 15" above the water line.

10. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Two Sols will easily cover a 4 foot tank with no shadows or dark spots. I have two turned lengthwise over a 60" tank at 12" above the waterline and its perfect with plenty of overlap. Their leg kits need to be higher and you get great coverage, 6" is too short.

11. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

desertrat, are you part of an offroad group down in Arizona?

12. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

No, thats about the only forum I don't own the AZDesertRat handle on though. I am on a couple dirt bike and ATV sites but not 4x4 although I do have a 4x4 and spend much time outdoors and bow hunting.