LED suggestions for a 55 gallon or 48"

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by NittyGritty, Feb 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

2. Click Here!

3. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

DIY is going to be the best bang for your buck in regards to coverage, I have 3 Orphek PR25's over my 55 gallon, I'll c if I can remember to post up s pic when lights are on, coverage with these is definitely enough using only 3 bulbs but they are def a little pricey, boost bulbs are great I have a 4b-1w on my tank as well and if I was to go with all boost I would probably want at least 6 just for the added brightness and coverage, oh and I am using a track lighting fixture which I think I was able to make look pretty good, I'll post pics in the am

4. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

Just in case your curious here is a picture of the tank with the 3 Pr-25's and 1 boost bulb. The tank is a little cloudy and low on water I just switched everything back in from my 75 breaking. I love the way these look!
    [​IMG]

5. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

I am going to look into those, I like how much larger they are than the boost.

6. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

That is $800 worth of LED bulbs + whatever the fixture costs. For that you could also consider these options (my choices ranked below):

2 - AI Sols for $800
    3 - AI nanos for $900
    3 - Kessil A150 for $790
    2 - Innovative Marine 30 watt Sky tablets for $860

Depending on what you are trying to keep and what features are important will determine what is best for you. The AI's have the ability to incorporate a controller for dimming if need be.

Based on BoBo65's aquascape, 2 - AI Sols would have been my choice if I had to go LED. If not $768 I would go it the 48" 6x54w dimmable ATI Sunpower and smoke all of those LED fixtures or the non dimmable version for $633.

7. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

I do like my Orpheks but I def agree with you I love the way the AI sol blues look and it would be the same price as my Orpheks.... great suggestions Gcarroll

8. Click Here!

9. jdrak

jdrak Astrea Snail

One combo blue/white HO reefbrite Tech Led is about 290. Twice the light you currently have, no heat, slim and cheap. Had mine for a month now, corals love them.

10. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

Ok, so I just ran across the Kessil A150w's, wow. They look amazing, I wanna get my hands on two of them...

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

they have a calulator on their website! They rec 3 of them! But maybe 2 and a par 30 or 2!

12. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

I just checked out a video that showed 2 lighting up a 90 pretty darn well!