LED/Shimmer Effect question

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Bloodkip, Aug 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bloodkip

Bloodkip Ritteri Anemone

2. Click Here!

3. reefsurfing

reefsurfing Astrea Snail

No, you can pick a lot of fixtures to put over your tank but I guarantee thats not going to be enough. The tank is to tall and that light is not meant to light a tank that tall. If you are on a budget for LEDs; Maxspect offers a great deal. The g2 110 with the new optics that are going to be offered next month (sept.) would be a very good option.

4. Bloodkip

Bloodkip Ritteri Anemone

So my only options now are to downgrade to a longer tank? Is there any leds that will work with the height?. Link please, thanks.

5. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

powerbrites . . . there like blue halides of crazyness.

not too thrilled about the fish selection for that tank, but i'll leave that for another thread.

~Will.

6. ManNurseReefer

ManNurseReefer Fire Shrimp

You want metal halide shimmer effect...get a metal halide. I just got done sending my led fixtures back because they didn't add any shimmer with my T5's on. I tried two exotic stunner strips. You will have to get so many LEDs to get a good shimmer that you won't have room for them all.

7. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

i have LED moonlights...the only time i get shimmer is at sleepy time. but hey, its really nice in a dark room

8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Are you trying to supplement your PCs with LEDs to get the shimmer effect or just go with LEDs?

10. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Stunners weren't meant for that. That is why you were disappointed. Ecoxotic Modules are for growth light and shimmer.

Exactly "G" man, I was about to ask the same thing. If Modules or other LEDs of the correct intensity are used with T5s or compacts, the correct ratio is needed to get the shimmer. On my 55 gal. I have 2 T5 HO lights and 2 Ecoxotic Modules and get a good shimmer. I like the look. When the T5s go off and just the Modules are on it looks like Disco fever!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  11. Raimond

Raimond Bristle Worm

I have a 22" deep FOWLR tank and I get the shimmer on the sand from just the MarineLand LED system. I realize that 22" is a long way from 32", just offering a point of reference.

12. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

If you run just LEDs, really no matter what LEDs, you'll get a shimmer effect. I think the issue here is whether you can get one with the PC lighting. Most inexpensive methods won't work as they just aren't meant for that and are underpowered. However, you can look into Reef Brite's LEDs. They are very powerful and will give you a shimmer effect even with the PCs on, however, they are rather expensive.