LED Recommendation

Discussion in 'RapidLED' started by jonjonwells, Mar 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

I am putting together a plan to convert my tank over to LEDs. My tank is a 150 Tall. 72 x 18 x 27. I run a SPS dominate tank. I currently have 1000 Watts of halide as well as 250ish Watts of supplemental T-5 and VHO. As you can guess, bulb replacement and heat are issues.

I have been going over several threads about recommendations and decided you would be be asked directly.

I am guessing that 2 x 48 Ultra Premium LED DIY Kit with Dimmable Drivers spread across 4 x Drilled and Tapped 4.25" x 16" Heat Sink for 24 LEDs.

48 Royal Blue
    36 Cool White
    12 Neutral White
    60 degree lenses

These would be spread out across 8 drivers and be setup to provide a dusk / dawn from one side of the tank to the other, providing a "eastern morning light" look.

What do you think? Will this be enough light? Will it be able to cover the entire tank footprint while still growing SPS on the sandbed?

Edit: Also cooling. I would still want these mounted within my canopy. How can I cool these if they are mounted to the top of my canopy? Do I need to leave a space in between?

2. Click Here!

3. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Sounds like an AWESOME project!
    96 Crees FTW!

4. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

I think that's more than enough light for your tank, though you do have a lot of light in there already so the tank is probably used to a good amount of light. My only question would be how you are going to space the heatsinks (I'm assuming you have two braces, but please correct me if I'm wrong).

For cooling, you'll definitely need to get fans in that canopy. If you can't put them directly on top of the heatsink have them blowing in from the sides, with cooling it's always better to be too cool than too hot obviously.

5. jonjonwells

My tank only has a single brace in the middle of the tank. It is only an inch wide. Then there is a 12 inch piece of glass on each side of the brace for extra support (I would assume).

I was thinking of puttting the units end to end running the length of the tank with about 1.5" in between them.

One of my concerns with this setup is that it would be a 5" fixture trying to cover an 18" space, from front to back of the tank.

Will have to think on the cooling. I have 4 Icecap variable speed fans in the hood now, but I think direct flow across the heatsinks would be better.

6. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

Okay a single brace makes more sense, that would be two heatsinks per section which sounds about right, however you're going to get some light spillage out of the side of your tank.

I think 5" to cover 18 is okay, however that will partly depend on how high above the water the lights are.

7. jonjonwells

My plan was to reuse my canopy that I have now. It would place them about 12" above the water line.

8. Click Here!

9. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

At that height I think 5" to cover 18" is fine.

10. Zander

Zander Spaghetti Worm

Do you have the actual height dimensions of the LED with a 65 degree / 55 Degree Optic installed?

I am trying to figure out how much space I have within my canopy.

Also a recommendation for fans, being that it is enclosed but the back open is it probably best to push the air along the heat sink then have fans to push the heat from the front and pull from the back?

Thanks!

11. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

The LED + lens is roughly 0.5-0.6".

For fans typically we install them so they are blowing down on the heatsink, if you can't do that then blowing across would be okay as well though if it's a long heatsink then you might want one blowing on each side.

12. Zander

Zander Spaghetti Worm

Thanks! Already placed my order.