LED Question

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by ENGINE 41, Jul 16, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ENGINE 41

ENGINE 41 Astrea Snail

Ok, I know I have asked alot of lighting questions but this is it and my canopy will be complete and all the help I recieved was great..

Final question is with LEDs I found a strip that is 36'' long with 18 LEDs that are 470nm, but I think that will be way tooooooo bright. If I put a dimmer on them will it affect the light spectrum or will it maintain the 470 nm that I need?

2. Click Here!

3. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

No clue :(

Have you looked into a Cold Cathode strip as used in computers ?

4. Corel

Corel Plankton

i am intrested too!

5. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

Actually...now that I think about it I believe I have an answer.
    LEDs generate a color by what voltage they are run at (there are different range LEDs though).
    Depending on how low, you might get a funny color :p

But, still unsure of how safe it is...I don't think very :(

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

All LEDS where not created equal.. there are bulbs that can reach 5 watts ea.then there are some that do 1/2 w. ea. also the design of the focal point of the bulb makes a difference..Thats why the Soluras light's are so pricey its the bulbs . Lets rephrase this not bulbs but diodes :) Its all about the diodes

7. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

i read this last night and i thought man i have no idea, but in truth i do. you should be alright my moon lights are leds and they have a dimming controller on them. the wavelength the moon lights are is 468nm. during a full moon the lights are on full power. when the moon controller is halfway through its cycle the lights are almost off. so i don't think a dimmer will affect your tank in a negative way. if anything it will help

8. Click Here!

9. ENGINE 41

ENGINE 41 Astrea Snail

Thank you for the imput.:thumbs_up