LED Question

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by nofearonabike, Feb 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nofearonabike

nofearonabike Plankton

Hello. just for some light on my tank i got some LED strips from LEGO displays from work. i have 17 panels with 18 LEDS per panel. i have 8 on one 12V 1000MA and 7 on another 12V 1000MA plug which is a total of 306 LEDS. my question is would this be enough light to grow or support anything? there are no lenses on any of the LEDS. i know it has to do a lot with PAR as well, but any thoughts on it is awesome. Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I am going to say no... But you might be able to pull off softies "Mushrooms ect.."

Reef LED lighting is VERY bright, I needed to wear sunglasses to tune in my drivers when I was putting together my reef LED lights.

I am looking forward to seeing what other people think.

Good Luck.

4. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

I would agree that it is highly unlikely that it will be enough. You never know though... If you get enough of them.

5. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

Light by quantity, not quality might work. Do you know the LED brand by any chance? that may help...

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

actual lego displays? highly doubt they're the right spectrum to grow what you want but prob everything you don't! algae! yard have to know what exactly they were and what spectrum!

7. SnooknRedz

They could be a helluva fuge light tho!

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

very good point!

10. SnooknRedz

Post some pics of the lights, off and on. especically a close up of the leds, if you can... itll give us a good start to direct you in the right direction.

11. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

My last fear would be the optics... Most displays spread their light to cover a wider area.. Your PAR ratings would be very low on your sand if this light could even be used for reef. :(

12. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

If I'm reading that correctly, that's only 24 watts of power (12v x 1000mA (which is 1 amp) = 12 watts times two units = 24 watts). That's not a lot of lighting power unless it's a small tank.