Led q&a

Discussion in 'Reef Breeders' started by Reef Breeders, Aug 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Look up Tinygiants tank on NR, lit by gu10 bulbs and it's amazing!

2. Click Here!

3. Arringar

Arringar Plankton

Who here can give me some guidance on how to convert my fixture to a dimmable fixture. I'm pretty technical and I have a good understanding of electrical systems. I know it will require some suitable power supplies and probably some resistors installed in line with the LEDs, but I could use some guidance on the best method and parts to buy.

I have 24 whites and 24 blues wired separately with their own power supply. They're 3w LEDs and according to the manufacturing specs they're running currently at 2w and they're much too bright even at 2w. I am also considering replacing some of the LEDs with royal blues and a couple of magentas to improve the colors I am getting in my corals. I have the exact specs of the current LEDs so as long as I can find some that can be driven at the same current/voltage it should be easy, right?

4. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

I have done it several times, I believe you have the fixture with 4 orbs of 12 or 15 lights?

5. Arringar

Arringar Plankton

Yup, 4 orbs of 12. Taotronics.

6. Reef Breeders

Okay then, wire them in parellel, at 650ma max on both strings, with 20mm 700ma quick blow fuses. You can use 5watt 1ohm resistors to test the ma output. I would use meanwell eln60-48D, you can use hyperions at 700ma max, and use a pot to dim them, but you would need 4.

7. Arringar

Arringar Plankton

Well I do want to keep them separate so they can still be on separate power. I could use a potentiometer to dial them down a bit but I am also curious about how to make them more controllable. Is there any good way other than building a control board with a PIC or gumstix, etc?

8. Click Here!

9. Reef Breeders

Yes, use a dim4 with meanwells.

10. Arringar

Arringar Plankton

Recommended vendor for the meanwells and the dim4?

11. Reef Breeders

Meanwells: reefledlights, Dim4: LED group buy, they are $85 there, a couple vendors sell them for $100 plus.

12. freguz

freguz Plankton

There are nice ready to use fixtures.

Ecotech Radion. Or check the Mazarra or new Razor from Maxspect.

Fredrik

1 person likes this.