LED/MH+T5/T5 for hard corals?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by NiNeX, May 19, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NiNeX

NiNeX Astrea Snail

Alright to start the tank is 23" deep, and I would eventually like to have some hard corals in it. So far I have been saving up for the solaris led system but not impressed with previous generations failure rate.

LED - Expensive for the solaris 48", but I like its programming/dimming abilities.

MH + T5 - Running 2 250s for daylight plus 2 T5 actinics would be plenty of light I think, 'dimming' should be staging the timers for the lights. Have the shimmer effect, not sure how much I like/care about this. Kinda worried about heat as the tank already gets a bit warm with the pumps and skimmer running.

T5 Only - Put 6 or 8 bulbs on some icecaps and stage them on a pair or so at a time. I was told that it should be enough light, but never got good numbers about overdriven T5s and depth.

LFS has all three running in their various display tanks and all are doing great so it makes for a hard decision. So any input from any of you that have run 2 or more of these options and can let me know why you like one over the other?

2. Click Here!

3. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

i vote MH/T5. More versatility and strength ;)

4. NiNeX

NiNeX Astrea Snail

Would it make any sense to Run a MH + T5 setup with a 250 on one end and a 175 on the other? I was thinking it would give me more flexibility in placement of corals that might get too much light under a 250.

- T5 Actinic -
    [250] [175]
    - T5 Actinic -

Last edited: May 20, 2008