LED, MH, or both for a 320 gallon? Help me decide!

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by darthweezy, Feb 16, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. darthweezy

darthweezy Astrea Snail

Hello again 3 Reefers-
    You guys were very helpful in deciding on what size aquarium for my basement, I thought I'd reach out for lighting advice for such a monster tank (dims 96x30x27).
    I recently bought 2 of the new Kessil 360w LEDs for my 57 gallon and I absolutely love them. I love the level of control with my Apex.

In my "reef tank storage", I have 3 horizontal 250 w MH fixtures, 2 250w MH pendants, and one 175w pendant. I also have an assortment of T5 fixtures I could supplement the MHs with actinics.

Should I just stick with what I have, use the MHs and the Kessils or go all Kessils? If I went all Kessils, how many do you think I would need for a tank that size? 8? I am tempted to go all LED for Apex controllability. But, we're talking another $2400 to throw out for more LEDs.
    I could sell of my MHs to make the purchase less painful; I just want the experts to chime in to see if that's a good choice.

The Kessils are fantastic on an 18" tank, just not sure how they'll fare on a 27" one...

2. Click Here!

3. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

All tanks I've seen with Kessil's don't seem to far will with depth. The narrow lens might work better, but I think you'd need multiples for spread. Maybe 10 setup staggered front to back.

o o o o o
    _o o o o o

I'm a fan of halides, but on a tank this size it is going to be quite expensive to run. Same with T5's. Look forward to seeing your progress.

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I'm a halide fan so I say stick with halides. Thats gonna be an awesome build

5. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

If your looking at a cheaper led option and you have some DIY skills you should check out RapidLED's Aurora pucks. They are a very similar layout to the radion at a fraction of the cost. You can buy a 2 puck dimmable pack for 350 and probably 4 of those double pucks could light your tank. that'd be around 1400 for you to light your tank.
    Dual Aurora Puck Kit (Dimmable) - Rapid LED

6. darthweezy

darthweezy Astrea Snail

Do you think the 250w metal halides will be ok with the depth?
    I would shudder to think of the electric bill if I had to upgrade to 400w....

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I was wondering about the depth myself. I think you would need 4 halides to cover your tank in full. I think the rule of thumb is that one of those halides is good for a 24x24" area.

8. Click Here!

9. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

I would do either T5HO and Kessil or some BML or Nanobox and Kessil.

10. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

250 watt halides would penetrate that depth fine.

11. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Dependant on reflectors.

12. darthweezy

darthweezy Astrea Snail

Thanks for the help so far everyone!

Where are all the LED lovers?
    The shimmer and shadows from the Kessils surpass anything I've ever seen in the hobby...

I do trust metal halides though...

I will keep my eye out for more advice!