Led lighting units

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by kiarah, Apr 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

HI all just wanted to find out if anyone here has used led lighting units from TMC? I have 4 lighting bars & find them amazing! I have used them since christmas & my mushrooms have gone into overdrive & spread like crazy! Id like some feed back on what you all think about LED lighting? The company that i got them from said not many people are will to give them a go as they are to 'new' & people like to stick to the trusted ways off lighting there reef tanks! So what do you all think???????????????

Thanks Kiarah;D

2. Click Here!

3. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

I just use 12 1 watt Leds for the shimmer effect on my reef, looks very nice. LED light is pretty good its just kind of expensive as of yet.

4. markgm87

markgm87 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I run the solaris 48" model runs good. All corals grow good except sps. The sps still grow just doesn't have as much color. I love it just wish sps would do a little better.

1 person likes this.
  5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

exactly what i was gonna say

6. billy01

billy01 Plankton

very nice, I love the blue color. It is very wizardly.
    I am using Eco-lamps's KR91.

7. kiarah

I have 4 led lighting units & the price compared to MH is such a difference. MH in the uk will cost at least £750 over hear with the addition off a cooling unit £500 then the running cost would be through the roof! Our electric & gas bill have gotten so high over hear its a nightmare. So that kinda ruled out the MH. I then found it was a choice between T-5 or LED.I found the t-5 a little on the high side to buy...... £20 for blue bulbs... £15 for white & the balster units £50 x that by say 8 = £680 then the running cost & replacement bulbs etc. Then there was the new led units £380 for 4 units......... sooooooo cheap to run & i like to try out new stuff so seemed like a good buy in the times we are living in over hear. I love the colours , the way it shimmers in my tank & that my tank life loves it!
    All good
    Thanks to all who have put there comments on hear, its good to get some feed back on something thats new to the reef world ( well new over hear anyway!)
    Thanks Kiarah

8. Click Here!

9. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Im from the UK, and i wouldnt dream of paying that much for MH or T5. Did you shop around cos 750 quid for a MH is pretty ridiculous! If you look on the net, more like 200-300, and nearly all T5 units come with bulbs already. I paid 200 for my T5 unit with the bulbs included, couldn't be happier!

10. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I didn't think LEDs were capable of imparting shimmer?

I've seen the $2000.00 Solaris 48" units in my LFS over a 90G tank. They are bright, yet at the same time, are dull. There is zero shimmer. I realize they generate almost no heat, and there are no bulbs to replace, but LEDs are years from being "all they can be."

For the time being, LEDs are cost prohibitive, if you want the same amount of PAR or Lumens (LUX if you're in the UK) as provided by halides or T5's.

11. kiarah

I spent nearly 2 months looking online & swallows aquatics & for the size i wanted to fit over my tank they cost a bomb i even went on ebay & second hand ones were going well above the £300 mark! I just couldnt seem to find them for a good price. I found the cheapest way to get t-5 was to make it myself as the t-5 luminars were also a fortune & didnt come in a size to fit my tank.
    Thanks K

12. kiarah

Well mine do with surface water movement you get a very good shimmer effect that looks stunning with little 'sun beams'. They do look amazing I dont really get the dull coment as i so shocked at how bright my tank looked when i switched lights it made my tank look crysal clear & very bright, could this be because they come in all diff types off tank lighting? They have like marine white ,reef white, reef blue, marine blue and so on .
    some down sides i have read is that the simmer effect can give some people a headache but we all seem fine.
    I can only really tell you what effect the leds have had on my tank but the company said they produce a stronger light then T-5. You should look at there website..... in the uk they are a very strong marine company who tank breed there marine fish & sell to most uk stores here they also produce some other good products to ( just so you no i dont work for them , im a full time mum just realised im starting to sound like a sales person!).
    Its good to hear all peoples views good & bad
    Thanks K