led intensity for soft corals

Discussion in 'Reef Breeders' started by chum, Apr 13, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

just got my reefbreeders 120 watt value fixture today. fixture is going to be 3" from the water surface. i have a mushroom leather,two finger and going to add a devils hand. trying to figure how much i should turn the lights up to in intensity. the distance from the lamp to the corals would be 9". does anyone have this type of setup?

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Moved to Reef Breeders' forum

4. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

What size tank? Can you move the light further from the water? most LEd systems ar run between 10-12 inches above the water.

I can tell you that you will want to start out low. Like 20% and go up like 5% a week till you get it where you want.

5. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

it is a 66 gallon corner. its 23" from the top of the sand to the surface of the water. i can mount it on top of the wooden canopy that would put it 11" from the surface of the water. at what intensity should i eventually run it at ?

6. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Not sure, roughly 75% or so? I dont have a reef breeders so im not exactly sure.

7. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

Definitely no.. You'll bleach everything. Especially that low. Start at 15 to 20 percent. Go up about five percent a week. With just softies you most likely won't go above 50%

8. Click Here!

9. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I agree with the starting point here. Softies can be acclimated, for the most part, to very high lighting so you can stop where you feel necessary but I wouldn't ramp up too fast. My xenia is starting to make a comeback under my LED's and I'm now running them at about 80 on blues and 70 on the whites. My fixture is about 18 inches above the waterline though but the xenia is dead center in my tank. (gosh I wish they would melt already)

10. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

thanks for every ones input . i really like this fixture. no regrets.

11. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

start out at around 30%, and add 10% a week.

12. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

What did you end up doing? I made a new hood & mounted mine on top of canopy. They sit 10" above water @ 60% now. Great light, people always laugh when I pull out the remote.