LED help for FOWLR Tank

Discussion in 'RapidLED' started by cdgardner11, Sep 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cdgardner11

cdgardner11 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I want to do LED lights on my new 100 gallon FOWLR tank. It is 60x18x20 deep. I have a couple of questions.

1. Knowing that I just need decent light and that I am not trying to grow anything, what would you recommend as far as the number of lights. I have never seen these LED's in action and have no idea how bright they are.

2. Since I am doing a FOWLR and want more coverage than penetration, I was thinking of getting a kit with the 80 degree lenses. My question is do you make an 80 degree lens for the XP-G LEDs. I didn't see them on the site. Or do I even need a lens?

This might sound crazy but I am having way more trouble deciding on lights for my FOWLR than I ever did with my reefs. :confused:

Thanks in advance for any help. LEDs are new to me and confusing me. :)

2. Click Here!

3. silverwolf72

silverwolf72 Skunk Shrimp

4. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

That is some expensive lights for just a FOWLR!! haha

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

6. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

Haha it's okay we're glad to point people in other directions if it's better suited to their needs.

cdgardner, as for the FOWLR tank I'd go without any lenses seeing as the tank is only 20" deep and as you mentioned you're more concerned with coverage than penetration. I think one of our 24 LED kits would probably be plenty of light for your tank.

7. silverwolf72

silverwolf72 Skunk Shrimp

Sorry I was just posting from the main page, didn't notice it was in the sponsor forum.

8. Click Here!

9. cdgardner11

cdgardner11 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Thanks for the response. I never shy away from building something myself, but I haven't done a ton of electrical work. My question is could a person with limited electrical skills put together a quality light with your kits and heat sinks? Do the kits come with instructions, and/or also ideas on how to hang it above your tank?

Thanks again.

10. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

We can provide you with a wiring diagram and of course will be more than happy to walk you through any instructions that you need. All you'll need is a soldering iron/solder and you should be good to go, especially if you get one of our drilled/tapped heat sinks.

As for hanging, we do have hanging kits that you can purchase (they'll be up on the site soon) which can be screwed into your existing canopy or ceiling.