LED Help 120gal FOWLR

Discussion in 'RapidLED' started by xxnonamexx, Dec 31, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xxnonamexx

xxnonamexx Plankton

I have started to do research on converting my PCs to LEDs. My friend recommended your site. I am very new to LEDS. I have a 120 gal FOWLR 48x24x24. Can you point me in the right direction as to what I would need for the depth as well as having no dark spots in the corners as pre made LED units I read give. I want to know both ways what I would need for FOWLR and for a Reef since I am debating if I should have it "reef ready" in case I decide to go back into reef. I have a canopy. Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

Hi there,

For a FOWLR tank that size I'd go with about 30 LEDs or so, and for Reef I'd go with about 60-72 LEDs depending on what you'll keep inside.

If you want to avoid dark spots in the corners then go with a longer heatsink, such as two of the 23" heatsinks. You'll likely get some light spill but it will help decrease the amount of dark spots in any corners.

As for lenses, I'd go with 60 or 80 degree optics depending on how far above the water the lights will be. For the FOWLR tank I'd use the 80's.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

4. xxnonamexx

xxnonamexx Plankton

Thanks- The unit will be 3" above the water. If I stick with FOWLR can you direct me on your website what exactly I will need? I will stay with FOWLR for now but I just want to see price difference if I decide to go back to reef.

5. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

6. xxnonamexx

xxnonamexx Plankton

Your website has so much its too much to take in. I like the predrilled and tapped idea what type of LEDS do you recommend? I want the day-night-moon light effect. Drivers? dimmers? I saw the retrofit kits not sure if that will be ideal for me.

7. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

Do you mean color ratio or which LEDs (ie. XR-E, XP-G, etc)?

If you want the day/night/moon then you'll need a dimmable driver (either ELN-60-48D or ELN-60-48P) and a reef controller (Reef Keeper Elite w/ ALC, Profilux, etc) or a programmable PWM circuit.

8. Click Here!

9. damon

damon Sea Dragon

go check out the rapid led sponsor, you can learn just about anything you want there and they have helped people step by step when building their light.That's what I'm going to do when I build my led light. One thing I'm going to do that I have not seen too much is add t5s to my light so I can add some daylight colors for viewing. I think most of the led set up are a little too blue white dominated, I mean I love them, but some times I want to see some more variety.

10. xxnonamexx

xxnonamexx Plankton

Yes- Right now I have PC's Blues then white then white LEDs "lunar" overnight I am trying to replicate dimmable driver, reef keeper, programmable PWN circuit? what is the difference.(either ELN-60-48D or ELN-60-48P) Whats the difference between D and P? I am trying to follow your recommendations on your website and some items I am unable to fine can you please help me with a "laundry list" of what I need?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  11. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

To use a dimmable driver you'll either need a 0-10V regulator or something to control a PWM signal. The reefkeeper's most other controllers will control 0-10V, in which case you'd use the ELN-60-48D. On the other hand, if you have a Reef Angel or controller for PWM, you'll use the ELN-60-48P.

If you don't have a controller and don't want to buy one, you can use a 10V power source and a potentiometer to control the ELN-60-48D, however that is a manual dim and you won't be able to program anything in to replicate the day/night/moon cycle.

12. xxnonamexx

xxnonamexx Plankton

I was just researching the dimmable controlers and reef keeper elite and they are very costly. What if I just use timers and have whites on at a certain time, blues, and the leds over night on timers? I think the heatsinks I will get the 2 23" drilled and taps there will be some empty holes but will be good for future upgrades. The drivers what if I just use timers what driver would I use? The fans I am set with your recommendation. What about LEDs what color etc. remember you mentioned I do not need lenses. Thanks for your help I appreciate everything.