led crashed the tank

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by ziggy222, Sep 27, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

well the led lights i got so cheap from clearly leds were'nt such a good deel after all.i got the 50/50 deal.120 bulbs on a 6x8 inch panel for $50 but it did'nt light the tank so i got another panel and wow but it looks blue.well 1st the corals shrunk,i've been waiting but they have'nt adjusted.then anything plantlike died off.algae halemeda ect.now i get up this morning and the tank is in major crash mode.the zoos are all falling off the rocks.a cpl days ago i almost lost some zoos a paid alot for,now i better pull out the fire an ice zoos 2 i guess.the mushrooms in the tank have fallen off the rocks and are floating around the tank while the zoos just fell off the rocks to the bottom.these lights can't possibly be the correct spectrum for a reef as advertised.when i got them they just looked like the white and blue led bulbs you can buy anywhere for brake lights an such but i gave them a try anyway.these lights certainly do not seem like reef grade lights.their a total loss.they kill plants so i can't even use them for the sump.no word back from clearlyleds yet and i don't expect a reply in the future either.the company reminds me of that other light company people are always writing about,from aquatraders odesy or something like that,you know,the lights that burn down your house?oh yeah,that reminds me,those converters they used for the leds,its kind of like a ballast but it looks like the black box on a laptop cord,well it gets very hot,enough to make me nervous.in all the time i ran these lights before the big crash,i have not seen a single thing in the tank grow,and the corals were low light stuff like zoos,mushrooms and green star polyps,xenia.nothing grew.my daughter will be very sad when she gets home and i have all her corals and her nemo in my tank.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Leds are not totally there yet . A looked at a panel for a Nano 10x10 and wholesale we buy all of out LEDs there cost me 139.00 .. Just the panel I have to supply the power transformer :)
    As I mentioned to someone a while back about the cost of our moonlights and just yesterday on Matt's LED string all LEDS are not created equal.. Its alot more to working with and understanding and what you will have then price. Good one ain't cheap its cutting edge technology and thats alway more expensive..Like Plasma T.V's

The reason that transformer gets so hot is the Va rating is low a good 10000Va supply cost 48.00 wolesale I can get the 100 tru 500 Va for 10.00 :) But they won't supply enough to get the LEDS up to full speed. If you don't no your drug no your dealer amd its few dealers I'd trust its all about the sale I call it the Cha ching factor !

4. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

leds have been around for decades.all they are is anodes on a circuit board run by a dc converter.aparently you cannot just buy any old anodes and sell them as cutting edge technology.i hade 248 anodes combined over a 10 gallon tank.also this seems to prove that light intensity does not make up for incorrect light spectrum.

5. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

the panels that were 50 bucks were the 6500k spectrum which is not the right one for coral. the panels brought new life to the corals on the edges of my tank. with out the panels they would have surely died long ago.

6. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

the panels i got were 50/50 on sale for $50

7. crappyballer

8. Click Here!

9. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

thats the same as i got but with uv added oh well i'm back to shopping for a 20 inch pc.i see the clearly leds banner.if their a sponser for this site i guess i'll just throw away the panels and drop the subject out of respect to 3reef and their sponsers.without sponsers this site may not be here for us.

10. crappyballer

they aren't sponsors i just really liked the panels i got. so i rock the banner for support. and i sent you a pm about the panels

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Yes for Clocks and and back lighting guages and simple applactiaons like that But :) Not for whole house use or aquariums at the level we are trying to apply them.. I had a tank I just broke dowen for the space I lite and grew several species of soft corals from cuttings under them form January last to last of Auguest worked just fine.. For us here..

12. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

ok i won't feel as bad selling them on ebay knowing someone liked them.i grew softies in her tank with a 28 watt coralife before i tried the leds but i did'nt want to just maintain the corals.