led build thread! electrical rookie! Now blind to boot!lol

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by cosmo, Feb 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

just gettin ready to attach the led's! lessons learned! 1 when it says your multimeter needs a 10A setting make sure it does!

2 grab some sunglasses, testing these things with even batteries has me seeing spots for 1/2 hour now! All in all, with rapids insstructions! Easy as heck, even for a electrical rookie! Now to get everything wired up and running till i get the right multimeter manana!

2. Click Here!

3. Illusions

Illusions Flamingo Tongue

Awesome!.... I think I'll be ordering mine next week. (Come on tax return!)

4. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Cosmo I agree they are simple. I think anybody can do this. What color skeem did you go with? I have 36 RB and 36 CW with 9 UV mixed in.

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

ryland i'm 24 cw and 24 rb! rapidled has plug and play uv's coming out in the next fewweeks so i'll be getting a set of those and maybe swapping out some CW's with some red's /NW we will see! still researching that, may wait a bit for new options to come out!

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Just a tease! Lol! Have a son with tummy flu so this build is taking longer than expected! But I'll be seeing white dots for the foreseeable future! Here's a few pics! Notice how 24 LEDs turn night into day in a large basement! That no optics for ya![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

3 hours last night and got 90% done! Just need to wire the fans adjust the drivers and hang! Super easy! Def more time consuming than hard!

8. Click Here!

9. SeminoleB

SeminoleB Coral Banded Shrimp

Sweet! I'm ordering the solderless as well. Can't wait for the uv's. Did you order any optics with yours? I noticed that with the solderless crees you need to order the clue type of optics. Was wondering what type of glue to use...

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

It was super easy just time consuuming! I ordered 60 degree optics and used the thermal adhesive! Don't use superglue it ruins the leds! Make sure ur meter has a 10mA setting! Mine didn't! Had to go to home depot! Also get some butt splices and heat shrink! Tons easier!

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I'd also not get the drilled and tapped heatsinks, or if ya do order longer connections! I ended up just using the thermal adhesive! Easier to get a better spread!

12. SeminoleB

SeminoleB Coral Banded Shrimp

Yeah, I have a 36 bow that I'm building it for so I was going to get a custom heatsink cut. I'm glad that I can just use the thermal glue. Do you have a lighting system like reef keeper, or are you just using pots? I was thinking of just going with constant current meanwells but the more I read, the dimming option seems better...