Led Actinics with MH

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by 1fishyguy, Jan 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 1fishyguy

1fishyguy Purple Spiny Lobster

So i just picked up my first MH fixture a few days ago. Went with the Odysse 48in fixture with 2x 250w MH. The bulbs seem to be pretty old one looks almost yellow when powered up the other seems to be a little blue/white. But im ordering some new bulbs to be safe. Check my other thread if your looking to replace your blubs soon very cheap site online for ordering Phoenix blubs.

Back to the thread topic. I have done some research in regards to actinic lighting for MH and came across a few different options regarding t5s and vhos for supplemental lighting. I haven't read much on LEDS being used for actinic lighting with MH.

This i plan to do. I have been in touch back and forth for a week or so with reefwerks (forum member) on a custom LED build. We finally came to a decision on a custom build. I plan to run a 48in heatsink with 4 fans a 75w driver with a total of 20 royal blue, 4 green and 4 red leds running across. with the reds and greens mixed in. Figured this should give me a full range of lighting and help bring out the color in the corals. Going with leds also should help keep my heat down. Im running only a 55g set up so i will have a hard enough time in keeping my temp down i don't want to add to it.

Hopefully the build will be under way this week and i plan to have them installed on the tank in the next few weeks. I will take before and after pics of everything. Hope this thread may be of use to someone thinking about going this route. I know people are usually all about LEDs or all about MHs but why not do both?? :)

Also big thanks so far to reefwerks for his time and patients helping me find what i want.

2. Click Here!

3. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

I'm running a Lumenbrite 60" actinic strip with my halides. Works great , no heat , no bulb's to replace and they look great.

4. 1fishyguy

Glad to hear someone else is running them and you like it!! curious to see the color change. And having a 55g i dont have much room to put a t5 fixture above the tank with out it blocking the light from my MH this led strip will be less then 2in wide so saves me plenty of room.

5. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

I also do this with LEDs. I am satisfied with it and works well.

6. 1fishyguy

good to hear. What are you running for leds?? and are you able to get a noticeable color change over the MH lights