Urgent Leather going bad..

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by mmoner, Oct 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mmoner

mmoner Plankton

Everything else is normal, tests and heat are ok.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. BigJim

BigJim Spaghetti Worm

Have you noticed a slow deterioration or did it suddenly look like that? Most of the tissue still looks normal to me, but it looks like something took a bite out of that spot on the top right. If you post your water parameters, describe the other tank inhabitants and describe how the problem has progressed, I'm sure someone here can offer suggestions.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Looks like something has been munching to me as well. Look for cream colored nudibranchs about 1/8 inch to a little larger in size. Try increasing the flow significantly and blowing off all detritus daily with a turkey baster. If it is directly under intense direct lighting move it down a bit.

5. Spyglass Reef

Spyglass Reef Astrea Snail

Agree with above. Either something took a bite or there a micro organism consuming the flesh. Check a few hours after lights go out! Also check under the rock at the base of that coral. If a nudibranch is eating it it will likely be hiding nearby.
    Keeping the flow higher is the next step to saving the coral. Not so high as to knock it over, but high enough to keep loose flesh from hanging around. Be careful though, if that is an infectious process you could spread it to other corals. Make sure you parameters are stable and be prepared to do water changes.
    I have used Lugols directly on infected tissue to reduce the damage and spread of infection.

6. mmoner

mmoner Plankton

It was opening normally just five days ago, checked last night and saw few bristles around it...water pars. are all normal, other stock is just fine(have another leather ok).

It just started as a small opening, one single spot, then suddenly this happened.

Thanks for help...

7. Drew

Drew Plankton

If it is some bacteria try a freshwater dip blasting it with a turkey basted. If you have a hospital tank I recommend that so doesn't spead. You might need to dose the whole tank. Minus fish and inverts

8. Click Here!

9. BigJim

BigJim Spaghetti Worm

I agree with increasing the flow around the coral. I had trouble with my toadstool because detritus was resting on top. It developed several small holes and the polyps were not extending at all. I dipped it in CoralRx and pointed a power head above the toadstool. It came back quickly and looks great now.

10. yvr

yvr Skunk Shrimp

Leather corals sometimes shed a waxy film to rid their surfaces of attached algae or detritus. They may remain closed for a few days before shedding this film, but it is usually a normal process. Strong water flow can help slough off the film layer. Your case looks like tissue necrosis and can use airline tubing to siphon off the dying/necrotic tissue and then you may want to give the coral a dip in an Iodine solution like Pro Coral cure to help prevent the spread of the RTN.

11. mmoner

mmoner Plankton

Update

It didnt get worse, but not yet recovered...

Just staying soso...

12. mmoner

mmoner Plankton

Recovered

After 37 days, recovered itself.

The tissue dropped off it will become a new generation i guess, thanks for the tips&advices.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]