Leather Devil's Hand Coral - White Spots

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Erglor07, Jan 18, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Erglor07

Erglor07 Plankton

New saltwater aquarium enthusiast here. Set up my 18 gallon tank about 3 months ago. Currently have a two headed frogspawn, a clownfish, and a mandarin. I have also had a leather coral for about a month and a half. Right when I got it, it was pretty finicky as to when it would open. I moved it around the tank and finally got into a sweet spot if there is such a thing. There was a stretch of about a week where it didn't open and didn't look very healthy. I noticed a decent sized bristle worm hanging around it one night and removed it from my tank. Shortly after that, it opened pretty regularly again. Within the last 4-5 days, I've noticed a white spot on one of the fingers. It seems to get a little bit larger everyday, and where it is white, it doesn't bloom. Question is, should I be worried about it? I've read on numerous forums that white spots can indicate that it is self-fragging itself. I just wanted someone elses opinion on the subject matter, so I know its not diseased or anything. Picture is attached. Thanks for your help!

18 gallon tank
    Salinity- 1.024
    pH- 8.3
    Nitrates/Nitrites - 0
    Temp- 80 degrees
    KH - 180

I've got a few hermit crabs as well that hang around on top every once in a while, but I've never seen them damage it.

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Laterial Fission is common with this coral, what you describe is normal.
    Sometimes you will get a nudibranch hitch-hiker that looks a lot the coral's polyps. When they eat the coral they leave what appears to be dust/looks like saw dust. Usually you can find them out at night but you have to look for them more than once.

If detritus is allowed to collect on the surface it promotes algae growth and that can keep the coral closed as well.

In all likely hood the coral is just reproducing.

Welcome to 3reef. :)