Leather coral dying?!

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Danceparty, Dec 26, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Danceparty

Danceparty Plankton

So I picked up this leather at my LFS about 2 1/2 weeks ago. It looked like it might have been splitting when I got it?
    [​IMG]

The week before Christmas, I went out of town for 7 days. During that time the power went out for at least 15 hours. I was unable to get back to do a water change until 3 days after that incident. My hammer coral, and 2 zoa colonies, where open and lively once the water change was done. My fish (2 clowns, 2 green chromis and 2 purple firefish) were/are amazing. This is what my leather looks likes now, roughly 28 hours after water change.
    [​IMG]

So this picture was taken about 1 hour after the picture above (roughly 30 hours after water change). It went back to being all droopy after about 10 minutes.
    But notice the, what i think is a Waving Hand polyp. Would that be the culprit?
    [​IMG]

I guess i'm looking for a possible cause? And should I try to save it or should I cut up the healthy parts and frag 'em?

This is what it looks like now, about 70 hours after water change.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a 37g tall that has been running for 2 years. My parameters are ideal.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Just give it time. Leather corals are weird

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

What is your lighting??Leathers can and will split.It actually looks like its trying to extend its polyps.I would just leave it and see if it improves it is not uncommon for them to droop for extended periods.If there is necrotic tissue you can gently blow it off with a turkey baster or syringe.Do not move it or touch it.They don't like that.

DSC reef likes this.
  5. Danceparty

Danceparty Plankton

I was kind of hoping it was just trying to split.
    I'm using a marineland 45 light LED hood. 12 on 12 off

I guess my only concern then would be then the neon yellow, "infectious" edges of the coral where it has split. Is that normal to have that discoloration on the edges of newly torn tissue?

[​IMG]

6. Vinnyboombatz

Yes some discoloration is normal but it looks to have some dead tissue on it as well.You may want to think about upgrading your fixture.What size is the tank??
    With the proper fixture an 8 hour lights on cycle is more then enough.

7. Danceparty

Danceparty Plankton

8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

10. Vinnyboombatz

+1 It may keep them alive but they will never thrive under that fixture.If you intend on keeping leds try to find one that covers a broader spectrum and uses quality leds and drivers.

11. Danceparty

Danceparty Plankton

Going light shopping today! Luckily here in Jacksonville, there's 5 really good/friendly tropical fish stores! Thanks for the info everyone!

12. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Not that I don't support buying locally (I actually buy as much as I can from LFS), but I would not buy a light today. Go and see some, let the LFS tell you what they suggest, then go back home and research it. Same as you should do if they had a fish for sale that you wanted, but didn't know much about it.

I would just hate for you to shell out a couple hundred on a light that was still inadequate.