Urgent Leaking canister filter

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by James.jcb.baker, Sep 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. James.jcb.baker

James.jcb.baker Flamingo Tongue

Bad timing... I have an existing 180 litre marine setup... First ever setup so went with the canister. Have a new 400 litre (100 us gallon) setup also with a sump, not yet cycled... The ammonia is 0 but nitrite is at 0.50.

The issue is my canister filter ha decided to spring a leak!!! Not pouring out but enough o have got the carpet wet. I don't want to buy a new filter because the idea is to get rid of the old setup but the new tank is nowhere near ready for inhabitants. Got the filter sat in a bucket at the moment.

Any ideas guys?

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

If possible I would set the media in the tank or sump. I also would not bother buying another canister, just get a protein skimmer and powerheads.

4. James.jcb.baker

Ah right I have a protein skimmer and a small power head already in the tank

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

If you have live rock, I wouldn't really worry about it but it may set your cycle back a bit.

in most reef tanks the live rock will take care of the first part of the nitrogen cycle.

6. James.jcb.baker

Ok yes i have roughly 10kg of live rock in the tank. So your saying I could possibly not use a filter at all?

7. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

I wouldn't bother using it but I would also buy another 30 kg of live or base rock if you want your tank fully stocked.

Personally I don't like canister filters while they work good for chemical filtration when used for biological filtration they can deplete the water of oxygen. In a reef tank you won't be stocking heavily(well you shouldn't if you want sps) so you won't even need the extra surface area.

8. Click Here!

9. James.jcb.baker

Ah right ok I'll get the extra live rock. I'm hoping to move the two clowns, two chromis and hermit crab into the big tank once cycled so I'll use the live rock in new tank also

10. Steve W

Steve W Plankton

You probably just need a new o-ring. Even a tiny nick or pinched spot on one will cause a slow (or faster) leak. Cheap fix. Unless you have a crack in the filter, it's a 99% probability that a new o-ring will fix the problem. You should be able to get one at your LFS, if not, you may have to order.

Steve W.

11. James.jcb.baker

Ah right ok thanks I'll look into it

12. truepercula

truepercula Plankton

Every so often with the canister filters you have to oil/lubricate the o ring if your using it for saltwater. use just a dab of Vaseline and coat the o ring and it might still work for you; but to be safe you should purchase a new one and use preventive measures from then on.