Resolved Leaking Bulkhead out of overflow

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by lmr2o, Sep 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

I got a glass-holes overflow box. I did a fresh water leak test and there was a small drip down the back side where the bulkhead is. I went to lowes and bought some plumbers silicone grease. Lubed up the threading and everything real good and attached it again. Thinking this would fix it, I filled up with sand, rock and saltwater. Only to find it is still leaking.

[​IMG]
    this is how its installed.

I took a look at the glass hole I cut out, and I definitely chipped it while drilling. Think this is the cause of it. Can anyone think of possible solutions? Idk if teflon tape would help, or silicone?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Read my bulkhead installation tips sticky here:
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/new-hobby/bulkhead-installation-tips-111422.html

One possible solution is to put a dab of silicone on the chipped area ONLY letting it dry completely before reinstalling the bulkhead. This will fill the void but allowing it to dry will not allow the gasket to scoot out. Other than that everything should be assembled completely dry, no teflons or grease and make sure you clean all the threads and the flat surfaces as described in the thread. Its amazing how the water travels along a little piece of excess plastic.

1 person likes this.
  4. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

Thanks! Come to think of it I didn't make sure I cleaned all the threads and flat surfaces the last two times I installed it. Makes sense to do so though. Appreciate the help