Large pump suggestion?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Grant, Sep 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Grant

Grant Feather Duster

I am in the process of moving and am trying to grasp the idea of moving my tank. I think I have decided to plumb my 90's sump to the basement. I need a reliable return pump that will create about 600-700 gph at a 15 foot head with at least 3 90 degree turns. Anyone have anything like this that they could suggest a pump for me?

2. Click Here!

3. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

ReeFlo Hammerhead

4. Elliott

Elliott Astrea Snail

I'd suggest a pressure rated pump, take a look at the Pan World line, can easily handle a pressure head of 15' with 90's (which will add more pressure head)

The Hammerhead is not a pressure rated pump, it drops off significantly, especially after 20', it also draws 370 watts. For example, the top rated Pan World 250 draws about the same wattage but will way outperform because it's designed to pump against a pressure head. The Pan World 250 is comparable to the Iwaki 100, also a pressure rated pump.

5. bama

bama Humpback Whale

agreed.. Also Pan World pumps were designed and created by an ex Iwaki employee.. They are essentially the same pump. Not to mention very quiet.

6. seabass1

HHmmmm....& the difference in price?

7. bama

bama Humpback Whale

Pan pumps are cheaper. Look at marine depot

8. Click Here!

9. seabass1

Of course Pan World are cheaper.

But, my question still is, what is an actual "pressure rated" pump? 30', 40', 100'? Thats like saying, "I drive a high performance car". Also, don't know where 375w came from.

For example, a HH has a max pressure of 23', more than a Mag 24 although a Mag 24 is a pressure rated pump? Go figure.

I think what this really means is, the "pressure rated" pumps have high pressure capabilities relative to its flow.

Most of these "pressure rated" pumps are smaller & run at high speeds (2800rpm & up)

A PanWorld 100px has a max flow of 790gph @ 21' @ 120w. Comes with a 2yr warranty....$194....based out of Japan, made in Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand & the Phillipines (where the minimum labor age is 3yo).

This HH by ReeFlo gives me the capability to "torque" down to a Barracuda & is a new hyrid model. It is a "big" pump, (less heat transfer, quieter) has a max flow of 5600gph, pushes 2300gph @ 21' @ 1725rpm & 234w. Comes with a 3yr full warranty.....Marine Depot: $369....got mine for way less out of Colorado Springs.
    This pump was made here in Arkansas, USA by Baldor engineering. :confused:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  10. seabass1

11. seabass1