Lapidary Saw (Fragging Saw)

Discussion in 'Frags' started by inwall75, Oct 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I finally bit the bullet. I have all of the regular fragging tools. I also have the flex shaft attachment for my Dremel and use diamond wheels. It works well but it is time consuming and takes a bit of practice. (BTW, never buy the Dremel brand diamond wheels at Home Depot. You can get 5 of them for the price of one if order them online).

I have so many LPS corals now that I just decided to get a lapidary saw. I've used the Inland DB-100 for years now so I am getting what I'm used to. Heck, I found a deal where I got a second blade and numerous blade guards for $70 cheaper than anyone else charges for the saw itself, so it was a deal I couldn't pass up. It'll be here tomorrow.

For those of you who have never seen these water-cooled diamond bandsaws, I found a bunch of videos. reefkeeper saw - YouTube

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

BTW, I have to say I'm impressed with this company. I ordered it yesterday and just checked my UPS tracking. It is clearly going to be here late this afternoon or early tomorrow morning.

4. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

So I'll just shoot you some colonies and you send me back some frags? ;D Congrats on the purchase. I use my trusty SawzAll.

Edit - Post 999...gotta make the next one count!

1 person likes this.
  5. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Nice investment! I know they are awesome for cutting chalices

6. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

+1 i worked for home depot and 99% is overpriced chinese plastic. they are just as bad as wally-world as far as supporting china's economy over our own. (no offense chinese ppl, america just needs real jobs back, service industry sucksss)

1 person likes this.
  7. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

Cool new toy lol lfs has one and he loves it he uses it non stop Congrats

And you cant cut your finger off thats always a plus lol

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

O yes you can.LOL I have one of these. It is the only way to frag!!!! Congrats Curt!8)8)

10. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

Agreed...the best fragging tool there is. Most people probably don't use them to the degree I do, but I've found the weak point is the top wheel. The roller bearing in particular will get water in it...I have to take it apart and lube it quite frequently or it gets "gummed" up.

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I'm glad you commented. I have found this to be the case as well at LFS's I've managed. It wasn't made for this purpose, but I've always used Lifeguard Aquatics Silicone O-Ring Seal. However, that's because it was always there and I knew it was inert.

This saw is going to be at home and not abused by 18 year-old part-timers. I want to make sure it lasts a long time. What lubricant are you using?

12. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I cant wait! There are a number of chalices that we have that are ready to be fragged!