Landscaping supply for Rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Bhadwin, Nov 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bhadwin

Bhadwin Astrea Snail

Has anyone ever thought or actually purchased rock from a landscaping supply? I have read stories where some people have and it is considerably cheaper than the average LFS. If you have, or if you might know, what type of rock should I ask for to see if they carry it? (Name of rock)

Thanks for any info!!

2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I've seen threads, have you searched for it.

Anyways, often times the rock had a lot of phosphates and promoted Algae, etc.
    But, the 'reef rock' has been sometimes known to do the same.

4. Bhadwin

Bhadwin Astrea Snail

I called one local place in brevard county florida (close to me) the lady didn't have any guidance on what I was looking for. I explained what I was trying to use it for. She said that they had a ton of different rock types and to come take a look any time. I plan on looking in the next few days..

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I would be concerned about mineral content, especially heavy metals, that may leach from terrestrial rocks and could be detrimental to the health of your livestock. Not at all worth the risk IMO.

6. Bhadwin

Bhadwin Astrea Snail

I completely agree with you Mr. Bill but in some cases among other states some landscaping supply companies were the suppliers to LFS for their base rock. My goal or thought isn't to do anything to harm or possibly harm livestock but rather to find out if any of the local companies carry the same exact rock. Does that make sense? In no way,shape or form would I chance putting something in my tank that COULD possibly danger the corals/fish.

My entire thought is coming from the fact that I am over my current set up. Many of you would be baffled at my thought but I simply have no room for growth and want to start over. I'm looking to sell all my coral and begin the adventure again, which is the reason the whole rock topic came up :)

Thanks for y'all's input!!!!

7. Bhadwin

Bhadwin Astrea Snail

Anyone else have any input or experience with this?

8. Click Here!

9. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Do you live near a city?
    I see dry rock show up on Craigslist for $1 a pound all the time.

10. Bhadwin

Bhadwin Astrea Snail

not a big city. I am in Brevard county. Rockledge is the city. I see some every now and then but its mostly 2$ and up, which by means is a bad deal, but from what I read about other landscaping companies, you cant beat .50 cents a pound ;)