L.E.D as a source, what do you think?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by dydot, Jan 16, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dydot

dydot Plankton

I've been thinking to mimic the sun/moon rotate for my reef tank.
    The moon light is no problem (i guess) because there're some of manufacture to mimic the moon, how about sun ? :confused:
    I've search so many time to dimm the PC (is it possible? i guess not) then i found a Solaris LED Illumination System from PFO Lighting http://http://www.solarisled.com/. But the price is killing me. I'am thinking to DIY that system.

What 3reefer's think about this lighting?

RD

2. Click Here!

3. milesm4

milesm4 Spaghetti Worm

I did a DIY one for about fifteen bucks not that pretty but it works and I can add to it if I want. I can post a pic if you like?

4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Ok here is the reason why you will find it hard to do this. The lighting we provide for the tanks is no where near as powerful as the sun. We make this up with consistency. The sun is only its strongest usually around 2PM and it gets weaker before and after that. Because we have a constant amount of less light the corals can thrive. If you try to simulate the movements of the sun with our minuscule power source things will not go smoothly for the corals.

5. milesm4

milesm4 Spaghetti Worm

I guess I should clarify I did a DIY for my moon lights not my MH.

6. Big_Wally_B

Big_Wally_B Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

My two cents worth.
    High Power LEDs have now become mainstream. Trucks, cars, flashlights, you name it. Years ago they claimed the LEDs would last 10000 hours and many did not last the day. That has changed. Costs have come down considerably also. Just be wary of unsubstantiated claims.

It is certainly possible to DIY but there are limitations. LEDs are not going to be the point source that MH is. Point sources will penetrate the water better. Instead of the one or two sources of MH...., LEDs would have many lower output sources. Tank will probably look better, less shadows, etc. LEDs are more efficient though. So for the same power input you would get more total light output. I am not so sure of its impact on the corals. Your design can perhaps make up for some of the weaknesses or questionable areas.
    Power supplies are quite different. LEDs are low voltage, high current: whereas induction sources (MH, fluorescent) are high voltage, lower current. Means big heavy power supply (not that they aren't that now) unless you know how to do dc-dc converters which could save on weight & efficiency. Probably be a lot more work mounting stuff because there are so many lights. Hope this helps.

7. dydot

dydot Plankton

Led Vs Mh

Acording to Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine - Product Review: A New Horizon in Lighting: PFO's Solaris LED System this system is by far more efficient than MH in long run.

And the PFO claims that the system can be adjust from 20.000 K to 0 K since MH can only statis with their kelvin rating. Also the PAR and PUR produced by solaris is more eficient than MH (XM 20.000K).

I am a newbe, all i want is the coral happy and my wallet not dry also.

please advice.

RD

8. Click Here!

9. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

I know doctors who live in million dollar homes who would stop before spending that much up front on a lighting system ;D It's like asking your self why don't I buy that 100,000 dollar car, cause I'll probably spend that much in automobiles in my lifetime. (5 new cars at 20,000 a piece)
    Enough beating of the dead horse. If you have the money and can afford to buy the fixture go ahead. The articles are there for your review. I believe them, I'm just not ready to shell out the bucks necessary for the initial install.
    Enjoy,

Jim

10. dydot

dydot Plankton

To Jim, that's why i like to try make it my own version, i found the led with high lumination and also 420nm on wave length. My estimate to build that system roughly $350 ($200 on leds).

11. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

That's great!! Make sure you take pictures so you can post it to the site. Once you're done maybe we can get someone to loan you a PAR meter or an underwater LUX meter to see what the output of the LEDS are and then we could see what it looks like under the spectrum. You could be a pioneer on 3Reef. Let us know.

Jim

12. BlackWhiteYellow

BlackWhiteYellow Astrea Snail

where are you getting the 420nm leds from.

I've recieved a few from yesled and am having them tested out at ledmusium.
    they were about 50c each but i'de need at least 50 for each 10cm square of surface for very good elumination.

can't really post a pic unfortunately since uv doesn't come out well on cheap digital cameras.