Kribensis, Pictus Issue

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by Nomar18, Nov 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nomar18

Nomar18 Plankton

Hi All,
    Have a 55 G with aquaclear 70 and emperor 280 filtration, 30% change weekly and:
    kribensis pair (spawned once)
    7 tiger barbs
    1 pictus (~2.5 - 3")
    1 flying fox, small.

The tank has been peaceful, but during their time taking care of fry, the male krib attacked/injured the pictus. I removed the fry, and things are better...My plan was not to raise the fry...I think I just left them in there too long.

My point being...
    1. I was thinking of possibly trading in the female...no fry means little to no aggression on my other fish. Could I add 2 more pictus with just a male in there? Or would there be cramped bottom space with 3 pictus a FF and a male krib?
    2. Keep this set up and just be prepared to remove fry, possibly as frequently as every month?
    3. Or get rid of both male and female and go with strictly community fish? (kind of a big change). If I had to do this I'd want color to go with barbs (serpae tetras? cherry barbs? boesmani rainbowfish?)

Adding 2 more pictus would be cool because I do like them and they do better in schools of 3 or more, but i don't know if it's possible with 55 G tank.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef.

I think you could add more pictus and remove the kribs to make things easier in the tank.

4. Nomar18

Nomar18 Plankton

Do you think 3 pictus would be ok sharing bottom space with just the male krib

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Possible but hard to say.

6. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

If all your barbs survive you'll eventually be rehoming a few as they can get pretty big. Same with the Pictus cats. No more then 2 in a 55 The Fox also gets pretty big. Fox/Pictus are nocturnal hunters. Kribs aside you pretty much have a community tank of predators :) you may wanna stay along those lines. Not a tank for tetras or rainbows for sure. They sleep at night and would be at a total disadvantage with a tank full of nocturnal hunters/scavengers.