Korallin Bio Denitrator

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by czartangus, Aug 2, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. czartangus

czartangus Plankton

I purchased a Korallin Bio Denitrator about 6 months ago. This unit has been working great but in the last month or so I have been getting a very strong odor coming out of the system. My wife is complaining that the house smells like hair perm (heeheheh) but actually the odor is getting very strong & I was wondering if anybody else has used this product. Last night I increased the drip rate to a steady stream & drained to a bucket hoping this would help. Being sulphur based I expected some odor but not to this degree & why all of sudden the strong odor? If anyone has insight on this it would be very helpful.

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. da colts

da colts Skunk Shrimp

i have the midwest aquatic version which is almost the same as the korilin version. when you smell a sulfur odor you increase the drip rate, keep an eye on the nitrite levels if they go up then you decrease the drip rate.

4. Boomer

Boomer Feather Duster

Yes you did the right thing increasing the drip rate and do what Colts has suggested. What has happened is your slower drip rate altered the anaerobic facultative denitrification, what you want, to a more anaerobic obligated dentirification. In lay terms, there was a shift in O2 to zero, as opposed to a tiny amount of O2, what you want.

1 person likes this.
  5. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Boomer

:thumbs_up

You deserve Karma for that level of detail.;D

6. da colts

da colts Skunk Shrimp

yes, the bacteria live in a low 02 environment , not a 0 oxygen environment

7. fishtank1

fishtank1 Plankton

Why does reducing drip rate lower nitirite?