Koralia's 1400 too much?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by gwhunter, Sep 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gwhunter

gwhunter Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Just put two koralia's 1400 in my 110 (48x18x30) in my tank and it seems too be just blowing sand an fish around. It's a new tank an just finished cycling so there's no corals yet but I'm waiting to transfer them from my 72. I keep mostly softies but my lfs recommended two of these 1400 koralia's for my tank. Any thoughts?

Matt:confused:

2. Click Here!

3. Bloodkip

Bloodkip Ritteri Anemone

Can you give us pictures of the powerhead placement?
    I have 3 powerheads in my 70g. 2x750 and 1x600. 30 turnover rate.

Attached Files:

4. gwhunter

The water is so cloudy with sand you can't see the power heads. I've got one on each side about 4" from the top pointed down towards the bottom front. They're discharge are crossing each other about 12" off the bottom of the tank. They've blew all the sand away an now the egg crate is exposed. I've adjusted them several times.

Matt

5. Sharkbate

Sharkbate Coral Banded Shrimp

IMO, positioning and direction matter. My 1200 (36g), sits behind some of the rock to keep sediment from settling and suspended in the water column. It keeps my softies and LPS happy. I have 2 nanos, (1 for surface agitation). Behind the rock positioning is great. It provides areas of low, mod and high flow ....takes a little time to get it right. Based on your last post, I might position them at the bottom on the back or side wall and direct them in the same cross pattern you have them now, only pointing upward.

6. Jay Reef

Jay Reef Feather Duster

X2 for pointing them upward at each other. Surface agitation is key as it will create an undertow which will move current in the opposite direction much smoother towards the sand so it wont disturb the sand bed. If you are running a sand bed thicker than 2 inches, I wouldn't want any of the sand moving. Small pockets of nitrates and other bad stuff will develop over time and you don't want that disturbed.

7. Jay Reef

Jay Reef Feather Duster

I have mine pointed upwards at a 45 degree angle approximately 8 inches below the water level on opposite sides of the tank.

8. Click Here!

9. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

IME with these 1400's... two of these is gonna too much for a softies in that size of tank. 2 1050's for softies in that size of tank.

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would suggest putting them on the sides pointing parallel to each other for starters or the back corners aimed toward the opposite corner. Just point them so they agitate the surface.

11. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I have two 1400's on a Reefkeeper Lite in a 60", 100 gallon so they switch every 30 seconds and its awesome. Thye are the first powerheads I have had that can move sand at the opposite end of the tank if not placed properly. I have mine in the two back corners about 6-8" down and pointed towards front center and slightly up so they ripple the surface. I am very happy with them compared to the old K4, Seios and modified MJ's as well as the new Sicce Voyagers which I tried before the 1400's.

12. gwhunter

I've got dual overflows with 4 lok line returns moving the surface. I was able to get them adjusted so they're not blowing sand. But they sure are powerful. Maybe a controller will be just the ticket as CJ suggested.

Matt