Kit recommendation

Discussion in 'RapidLED' started by ChrisK, Feb 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ChrisK

ChrisK Plankton

Hello Rapid LED,
    I'm currently in the research phase and interested in going the LED route for lighting.

I intend to have a mix reef with LPS SPS with the possibility of having a clam.

My tank is 48W x 36L x 27D, 200g Marineland deep dimension tank with a canopy. I'll also be using an Neptune Apex Aqua Controller

I'm looking at 14k look with dimmable and controller capability

Which kit(s) would you recommend and lenses ?

2. Click Here!

3. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

I would suggest the 36 or 48 bulb kit. The degree of lens will determine how high it will be off the tank. I have the 12 kit with 60 degree lens because my fixture is about 12 inches from the water.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

4. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

If this is used for you main lighting, double to triple what ReefBruh said. You'll need a lot to support Clams, and SPS in a tank that deep, let alone a lot to spread the 3' width. XP-G (Cool White) and XP-E (Royal Blue), with a few of the XR-E Warm White's thrown in to add some red spectrum. Also, look into UV (410nm) LEDs...expensive, but I have some on my setup, and love the colors it gives. Check out evolved's build. You'll need a lot though. Good luck!

http://www.3reef.com/forums/i-made/diy-dimmable-rapidled-kit-converting-mhs-96138.html

5. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I have 60 on a 120gal tank, 60" X 20" X 24".

Your issue will be with the tank depth. You may want to run 45 deg optics to get a good amount of light to the sandbed, but this means you'll need to group your LEDs closer together, and subsequently will need more of them. You may be able to get away with 60deg optics; it's really a matter of how your tank is configured.

Another point to consider and will also hold weight in the answer to your question: how far above the surface of the tank can you mount your light? If you're trying to stay within a canopy, you'll need your LEDs closer together as well, which again means you'll need more.

6. ChrisK

ChrisK Plankton

Thanks ReefBruh, nice tank in your signature.

TY FaceOfDeceit, I figured I'd need a lot of light. I really want to avoid MH's and Chiller. Over the long term. I feel the LED's will more then pay for themselfs, not to mention the shimmer i've seen on youtube videos.. WOW!

7. ChrisK

ChrisK Plankton

ah okay evolved, I figured I'd want to use a canopy mainly to contain some light spillage and aesthetics.

8. Click Here!

9. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

That makes it harder, honestly. The further you can hold the fixture off the surface, the easier it is to do LEDs.

It can be done just fine, but you'll pay a lot more to make it happen.

10. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

Hi Chris, for that sized tank I'd go with somewhere between 90-110 LEDs, depending on which ones you get. Since you have the Apex controller it's not a problem for you to err on the side of too much light since you'll be able to dial it down if necessary (though obviously there's a cost to do that). It's probably easiest if you get a few of our kits, perhaps two 48's and a 12 (or you can just start with two 48's and see whether you think that's enough after you put it together, just leave some room in case you need to add a little bit more). With the Apex controller you'll want the ELN-60-48D driver (make sure your driver can control 0-10V) so make sure you get the dimmable kits.

For a 14k look (assuming you're using all of the same LEDs, whether they're all XR- or XP- series) you'll want a 1:1 blue:white ratio. If you get one of the ultra premium kits (it mixes XP-G cool white with XR-E royal blue) you'll want a little bit more blue to balance it out since the white's are stronger, so perhaps 1.2-1.3 blue per 1 white.

For optics, as evolved mentioned the height at which the lights are being hung is going to be important. At 27" deep I think you can go with either the 65's or the 40's. I'd say if you're 6-8" or less in height then go with the 60/65's (less spotlighting), and if you're more than 8" then go with the 40's.