Kinda New (Need info on Mangroves)

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by imbrioum, Feb 28, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. imbrioum

imbrioum Plankton

I am kinda of new to the hobby in that I have had it for years but have only been maintaining not actually enhancing it. I have a 92 gallon aquarium with 80 lbs of live rock, a clown fish, damsel and two star fish. Anything else I have bought dies within the first two weeks. I bought my first water testing kit and the PH, Ammonia, and Nitrites were were they should be. My Nitrates though were 80. I would like to decrease this and was told that a water change was one way to do so. This however is an after the fact rememdy and would like a permanent prevenative.

I have done a lot of research on mangrove plants and would like to implement this however, I am not sure if how I am thinking in my mind it will work out. First I need to know how many mangroves I need since I have received conflicting information? One place said I would need 6 and another said 1 for every 2 gallons. I do not have a refugium nor do I have a skimmer. I would like to take the place where my skimmer would go in my sump and place the mangroves. I want to take a piece of styrofoam and place the mangroves in it so the plant is above water and the roots are below. This would also allow for the mangroves to move up and down with the absorption and replenishing of water. From there I would take a fine wire mesh and place it around the mangroves as a net to catch the leaves to prevent it from changing my water color. I would then mount a plant light under my aquarium to illuminate the plants. Any suggestions you can give me on this would be greatly appreciated since I have this large aquarium but only two small fish that have lived.