Killing aptasia by nuking or freshwater dip

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by t4zalews, Jan 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. t4zalews

t4zalews Flamingo Tongue

I have a piece of liverock in my tank that is just overran with aptasia. Fortunately, it is by itself and there is no coral on it. I want to take it out and put in another rock for the time being. Should I just leave this aptasia rock in a bucket of freshwater for like a couple days or should I just nuke the rock with bleach. And if I do bleach it what is the ratio that is used. With bleaching, do I have to worry about it leaking back into my tank (mixed reef). You think it would set off my levels if i just made a pvc apperatus that holds up the rocks that this rock is holding up, or should I just buy another rock that is similar in shape?

2. Click Here!

3. bc219

bc219 Millepora

What worked for me was soaking my aiptasia infested rock in a very high salinity water, they pretty much fell right off. If you don't want to waste salt I think freshwater works too.

4. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

How much Aptasia's on there? If it is a ton, I'm sure freshwater would work.

5. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Freshwater and hyposalinated (is that what it's called?) water have the same effect on sea critters. Either one will get rid of anything you don't want (and sometimes do want). Bristle worms will come squirming out, stuff will die, yadda yadda yadda. I think just a freshwater or really salty dip will do fine, no need to completely nuke the rock.

6. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I have peppermint shrimps. I've only seen one aptasia in my tank.. It was in the sand so I was able to just pull it out.
    Are my shrimps taking care of the aptasia? Not sure as I've heard some don't eat it but worth considering.

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

If you can pull the rock out, just boil it in fresh water for 20 minutes, then give it a good rinsing.

8. Click Here!

9. t4zalews

t4zalews Flamingo Tongue

I don't have anything to boil the rock in, can I just take it out and put it in freshwater, or does freshwater not kill aptasia. I just want to wipe the aptasia right out of this rock. I'd prefer not using saltwater. If it does die in freshwater, how long do you think it will take?

10. Getbarreled

Getbarreled Plankton

Just buy a bottle of Aptasia Control by Blue Vet and you dont even need to move the rock. Follow the directions and it works like a charm!!

11. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

AiptasiaX is a much better choice. The Blue Vet ended up drying out in a closed bottle. It also didn't do the trick well for killing aiptasia.

12. Getbarreled

Getbarreled Plankton

Interesting. Must have just been the strain of aiptasia I had but it killed all mine in 5 min. I'll keep an eye out for it drying up though. Thanks for the heads up.