"Killer Crab" - WARNING!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by omard, Dec 10, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

You DO NOT WANT one of these in your tank! - :eek:

[​IMG]

A real "Monster" -

"hitchhiker" on Florida Live Rock - doubled in size every 2 weeks. Destroyed 2 feather dusters, untold number of smaller crabs, snails and other invert life on rocks. Smart/"Strong" - was very difficult to catch, using improvised "traps" - but finally got him. Good Riddance!

OmarD

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Yikes!  Yes some crabs are real terrors.  Congrats on your persisence and eventual capture and eradication.  Get the butter and garlic!

4. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

thanx 4 warning us omard. dont want him in my tank!!!

JOE

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Rinsing live rock in soda water when you get it is a great way to get those hitchikers out before they go in the tank, FYI!

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Wish I had known about "soda water" method.

Was told only about "high" saline "dip" - apparantly did not make "high" enough.

Sure would have saved much grief. - Was about a two week "exercise" getting this thing out.

He was fast and learned quickly about any kind of "trap" I could come up with. Any movement near or in tank sent him scurring for warren of burrows he had cleared out under rocks.

Once "spooked" would not be seen for day or so.

Was near point of pulling everything out of tank to get him before enticing him into a "pull" type "snare" baited with a piece of shrimp.

He was very "patient" - but I was more so. Finally took about 3 hours of sitting motionless a few feet from tank to get him in last attempt.

(note: used to "trap" out of Fairbanks, AK about 25 years ago - this critter was as tricky to get as anything I ever came across in those days.)

OmarD >:(

7. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

looks like some type of a rock crab they can become quite the hunter in the aquarium when they get big good thing u got him out

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Craig Wrote "Rinsing live rock in soda water when you get it is a great way to get those hitchikers out before they go in the tank, FYI! "

Never worked for me yet, just a few bristleworms to I could've cared less if they were introduced. I've had mantis cruz right on thru the soda water bath. Go figure.

Checking crabs claws is the best way to tell if its "ok" to put in. Generally herbivours have a plate on the tip of they're claws while most bad ones have a point on the tip and "teeth" on the inside. For the most part, I'd stay clear of all crabs, except for hermits. Mithrax aka emerald crabs get quite large and can do some serious damage at adult size. I've seen larger ones actually take fish, now thats not a nice "herbivour".

10. Emisar

Emisar Plankton

Hello... so far a very interseting web-site, some getting used to... seems could be very informative or helpfull ...will continue to check in....

why the does it keep on clicking and resetting.........!!??!

11. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Am now dealing with the 3rd of these horrible creatures.

[​IMG]
    1st caught as described in posts above. 2nd I managed to "Entomb" in a rock crevice with a couple pieces of coral covered with super glue.

Now have a 3rd loose in tank and can't get near him. Totally ignores traps, very furtive, only get quick glimps's of as he disappears into his warren of burrows he has dug out under lr.

They must have come with my Fiji rock. Dale Barger at Gulf View Marine, other lr source, has never seen before. Don't know if they came as little critters or hatching from larva/eggs.

But they grow fast and are "deadly" - not a feather duster left in tank, except of a few of those little in rock variety. Worms all chewed to pieces.

Will get him when I do inhabitant transfer to new tank next mo.

>:(

OmarD

12. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Bummer on the "killer" Kudos on your patience! 3 hours! Wow I dont think I could have waited him out.