Kill all Brittlestars

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Ryan Duchatel, Nov 30, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Hey all,

Today I started my tank re-vamp. Am re-doing the sump as I speak.

My tank is known to have a few brittle stars, one is particularly big and has lived inside a rock on the right for about a year, never caused a problem, even with other cleaners/ inverts.

Earlier, I went to the LFS and got two really awesome medium sized cleaner shrimp ($155 AU each) and a clam and anemone.

Whilst cleaning the sump, I noticed, hey my shrimp seem to be missing. I look over and they are basically in the mouth of this bristle star. It killed both of them.

I was so pissed I took the rock out, smashed it up and killed the bristlestar. Next bristlestars I see in my display will see the same fate.

Kill all bristlestars.

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

pretty crazy…. i wouldn't think a starfish is quick enough to get the better of a shrimp….. are you sure she wasn't just cleaning up a mess (i.e. the shrimps died for whatever reason and she was disposing of the bodies?)

4. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

I thought that as well. But as soon as the shrimp were introduced, they started hanging out near its rock, and it seemed like the tentacles were chasing them, with the shrimp constantly having to move away.

I had a rock fall in the afternoon, in the same spot, and it think it gave the star more room to move and capture them.

5. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

hmm…regardless, sorry for your expensive losses….but poor starfish :(

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Any chance that they were just molts? Almost every new shrimp I have gotten has molted within the first day or two. If not, then very sorry to hear this. How big was the star?

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Agreed. Can't blame the star for being hungry. Any creature has the potential to become opportunistic, hence the reason I always target-feed my CuC.

8. Click Here!

9. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

That is true. It wasn't molting, they were whole shrimp. Yes, the star was about 15cm in diameter when I got it out. Massive thing.

But better its gone then it kill any of my other inverts. I have a few beautiful harlequin crabs lurking around (which were big $$$) and if it got one of those I would of been spewing.

10. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

$280 US for two cleaner shrimp? Seems in Australia most things would be cheap.

11. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Things in Australia definately are not cheap. In fact I seem to think the opposite, cheaper in the US. I wish I could buy things from LiveAquaria! Prices are killer compared to over here.

12. pagojoe

pagojoe Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

This happens over and over. Then, without fail, someone will come on and say how they've never had a problem with brittlestars catching and killing shrimp, lol. Until it happens to them, that is. It's really a matter of being aware that it CAN and DOES happen. Red or green, large ones will almost inevitably catch and kill any shrimp that are in the tank (and sometimes they catch crabs or fish). Sorry for the expensive loss, in any case.

Cheers,

Don