Kenyan tree it has this black slime like algae

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Navarchus, Apr 5, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Navarchus

Navarchus Plankton

Hi guys I have a problem with a Kenyan tree it has this black slime like algae
    Growing on the tree and it is chocking the tree but when I rub the algae it comes off. Does any one know what it is and how to get rid of it. I don’t want to lose my tree.

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Is it in a spot where it gets a good flow of water to keep it clean and free of waste from settling upon it ? funny corals really But moving it around to much can kill it also. I never move any coral more then once a week or every other week.

4. Navarchus

Navarchus Plankton

I never realy move my corals around the tree has been in the same place for nearly a two years and it has growen three times in size this is the first time
    it has had a problem.

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Have you started to add something to the water recently ? a new additive or food ? what are the DKH and Ca levels of the water also the NO3's and PO4's I assume you have tested for any ammonia or nitrites ?

6. Navarchus

Navarchus Plankton

yes I do test my water weekly but my nitrates are alittle high so do you think that could be the prob? I am doing water changers and the nitrate is starting to come down.

7. Navarchus

Navarchus Plankton

The nitrates have been higher than they are now and never had a problem

8. Click Here!

9. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

It could be because of high nitrates and phosphates, which will cause additional algae. You may want to blow the coral with a turkey baster and cyphon the algae out????

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

The infection you have, which is very common with Octocorals(soft corals) is what is known as black band disease!!!
    It is basically caused by a bacteria NOT an algae! Cyanobacteria is responsible for this and is a result of too much organic food found at the base of the soft coral. This disease is especially synonymous with Sarcophyton species.
    Elevated phosphate levels are more th cause of this than nitrates as high nitrates will normally effect you pH level IMO.

1 person likes this.
  11. Navarchus

Navarchus Plankton

Thanks Coral Reefer I am going to google black band disease to get more info.
    Do you play guitar? I am a drummer and I work in a musik store.
    Thanks again for your help.

12. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Glad to help... Unfortunately, I don not play the guitar. I love music so much, that if I were in a band, it may help to curb my music interest, instead of making me a part-time air band player...hahaha
    One of my favorite musicians, Dave Matthews is from South Africa!!!! Have you heard of him?