Kenya tree turning white! HELP

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by ianaco70, Jul 24, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ianaco70

ianaco70 Bristle Worm

My kenya tree which about a week or so ago was growing and looking great has now turned mostly white. I dont know what is wrong with it. I feed it phytoplankton three times a week. My nitrates are fine and my calcium levels are 400. I add form (reef mudd) once a week to replenish iodine levels. I leave my light on for about 9 hours a day with lunars on an hour and before and after daylights. I also have minimum flow. Any suggestions? It still opens and closes and seems to be alive. I also have some zoes which look okay and have sprouted new heads.

2. Click Here!

3. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

if its "white" or turning.. that could be to much light on it .. ( washing out )

Iodine > be careful ! test for it if your dosing it, i use it as well sparingly !

id the trunk of the kenya "thick" and engorged like full of water ?...

the polys of the tree Out and "plumed"...?

1 person likes this.
  4. ianaco70

ianaco70 Bristle Worm

Thanks for the response

the trunk looks fine and the polys look fine. The tree actually looks the same just white. I fragged it about 2 months ago and the frag has grown to a decent size and looks the same just white. Ill start leaving the lights on for 8 hrs instead of 9 and see what happens thanks.

5. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

what i meant was ( i dont know your lighting ) intense light can bring on a washout effect or poor spectrum , it seems to be fine aside from the whitening effect your having .

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Yep, soft corals will "bleach" quickly if too much or too bright of light...

Try moving to out of direct light if you can or at least lower in tank...

Good luck...