Kenya Tree Problems

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by YayFishies!!!, May 16, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. YayFishies!!!

YayFishies!!! Plankton

So I came out the other day and a few but not all of my Kenya Tree's are all closed up and white looking. Nothing has changed or happened. Nitrates are good, Cal and Mag are 370 and 1200, ph 8.1 and stable. The confusing part is on the same rock in the same 3 cubic inches of tank some trees are perfect happy and open and others are white and closed tight but firm not droopy at all. This is a 29 Biocube with 3 RBTA, Toad stool leather, Kenya tree's all over, Zenia's here and there, Green Star Polyp, Ricordea, Mushrooms. 6 fish, 4 shrimp, misc snails, fireworms (good kind), Copepods... The tank is a few years old and very well established. Any help would be great.

2. Click Here!

3. xJamesC28

xJamesC28 Bristle Worm

What's your lighting system and what percentage is it? Sounds like they're bleaching. You see, Soft Corals don't require as much Lighting so as hardy as they are, They would be a little more sensitive to High lighting then others such as LPS and SPS.

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

My Kenyas do that from time to time.

Expecillly after my Blue tang has been nipping at it.

I wouldn't worry, give em a few days.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Moved to-----Soft Corals.

Since other corals are unaffected at this time I would not be too concerned.

You might want to bring up the Mag a little.

If the corals continue to stay closed I would run some new carbon. If you do not run carbon I would add a small amount. Consider a water change as well, you might be seeing the result of chemical warfare between the soft corals in such a small tank.

If the corals decline please post an image.

6. YayFishies!!!

YayFishies!!! Plankton

Well this morning a slime coat was coming off of them and they are opening back up. I think I know what it was now. I was trying to sell one of my RBTA that is up stream from the effected Kenya Tree's. I was messing with the RBTA trying to get it off the rocks and I think it slimed a few Kenya Tree's. Thanks for all the help! I was a little worried that other stuff was going to start having problems.

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Congrats on finding the problem! Oh, and am I going to be receiving my RBTA soon? ;)